Upper Little Schuylkill Scenic Area

F

frederick

Has anyone fished the Little Schuylkill R. through the scenic area from South Tamaqua/ Clamtown to New Ringgold? I've been thinking of taking the kayak through this area for some "adventure" float fishing.
I know there are native trout in the tribs here (Cold Run, Indian Run) and it looks like a pretty area along the Wildcat mountain and the game lands.
Frederick

This was my home town stream. You can kayak it if it is high, but it will be pretty rough when it is low. I would say around 150cfs for kayaking. It is very scenic but as far as what I watched in the last 4 years of coming up and visiting, the fishing pressure is immense. If I did a float when it was lower, I would probably put in around the desilting damn near south Tamaqua and float to the desilting damn in Hamburg. It is much wider and probably a little easier to float there. Or put in a the fly fishing shop in New Ringgold.

The primary fishing pressure is in the stocked trout sections. South Tamaqua is below the upper stocked section, which ends at Panther Ck's confluence in Tamaqua, and New Ringgold is the upstream limit of one of the lower stocked sections. From South Tamaqua to New Ringgold almost every tributary supports wild trout. Additionally, the river itself supports some wild browns and stocked migrants primarily from Panther Creek's confluence in Tamaqua downstream past South Tamaqua to Reynolds. In some stretches you will find some brook trout too. Whether or not the trout will hit downstream from the desilting dam in South Tamaqua may depend upon the warmth of the water, as the temp appears to warm in the dam, although that may have improved more recently due to the cold, high volume discharge of treated mine water that for the past decade or so has been entering the river just below Panther Ck. NOTE: THE DESILTING DAM IS A DANGER TO BOATERS/FLOATERS.

Thanks for the info. Yes, I would certainly put in below the desilting dam, probably at the Rt 443 bridge, or in Clamtown/ Reynolds area. Also, I would stop and spend some time where the tribs enter. Take out at the bridge near the monastery in Hecla, or in New Ringgold.

Thanks. That fly shop in New Ringgold is always closed when I pass there. They may be doing float fishing trips on the Lehigh R. Did you know the section from the fly shop to one mile downstream is now a delayed harvest area?

The section from Tamaqua to S. Tamaqua fisheds pretty well and the water moves along. But get out and go around the de-silting dam at S. Tamaqua. Be aware that much of the right side of the river is private property and closed to access. there's a factory there so don't take a break on that side. I'vealways wanted to float that section. Have fun.

Back