Upper Little J

F

Flydoc

It’s my understanding that there was until not too long ago a DHALO area on the upper Little J around Bellwood. Is there still fishing access in that area? Why is there no longer a DHALO area. Thanks.

I was not aware that this section had been removed. If this is the case, I would guess that a landowner issue is the likely explanation.

I'd be interested in hearing what our LJ regulars have to say about this.

With the encouragement of the LJRA PFBC conducted a survey in the area and found class A wild trout. Because of this they discontinued the stocking of rainbows.
besides the the benefits to the wild fishery, I was happy as a pig in sh** when this ended. It was uber annoying to fish that section and catch stocked bow after stocked bow.

http://www.littlejuniata.org/electroshocking-survey-on-the-upper-j/
http://www.littlejuniata.org/2016/12/22/

These types of things can happen if we work with PFBC by providing constructive ideas and encouragement (of course they make the decision to conduct a survey based on their professional experience). Works a lot better then taking swipes at them.

there were no landowner issues involved. although there is a problem simmering in the Watts farm road section over an unrelated rails to trails proposal

you'll still encounter a stocky in that area however, because some wash down from Bells gap run upstream from there.

A goal of the LJRA is to have all of the J surveyed, declared class A and hopefully designated all tackle C&R

It's good news. Stocking was ended there because there is a good wild brown trout population.

Since the delayed harvest regulation is a stocked trout management tool, that was eliminated.

The good wild brown trout population in the upper river isn't a new thing.

Starting in 1997 I began fishing/exploring the upper river and caught good numbers of wild brown trout from Tyrone up past Tipton, up past Bellwood the whole way up to Pinecroft.

So, probably the wild browns have been there all along. I think that is also true of wild browns in the lower river.

Wild browns have probably been in the Little Juniata since they were first introduced, which was probably the late 1800s.

nymphingmaniac wrote:
With the encouragement of the LJRA PFBC conducted a survey in the area and found class A wild trout. Because of this they discontinued the stocking of rainbows.

Thanks for the heads-up.

This is indeed good news.

Join the LJRA - with your membership you’ll get a hat and sticker and Bill Anderson will show you around the river.

As I drove along River Road last week I saw numerous No Tresspassing signs but I eventually found an area that wasn’t posted. Once you are in the river can you fish anywhere if you stay below the high water mark like you can below Spruce Creek? Are there any easy access points? Thanks for the input.

Flydoc, yes once in the water from legal access go up or down in the water and you are good to go.

Back