Upper Kettle Creek watershed -- Stunning

M

Mashbill

I am currently on a month long solo fishing road trip. 1st week in Boiling Springs. Last week in Penn's Valley ( wading Penn's at night at 875 is a real treat!! ). currently on Kettle Creek. then last of week of trip on the Beaverkill in Roscoe N.Y. then back to Charlotte. Retirement trip ... yes folks .... retirement is GLORIOUS!

Yesterday I explored the Upper Kettle Creek watershed. parked near the bridge, then waded / hiked upstream to the tributary I was looking for ... then hiked / waded and fished way up that tributary. For me .... it was very remote ... 3 wt, wading pants, chest box, hip bag and couple of water bottles. nothing but #14 parachute Adams.

the place literally took my breath away. it was absolutely stunning. Just Stunning.

The native brook trout were just beautiful. you won't believe this .... but a bald headed eagle flew high over me. I could have just kept going upstream. the wade back was just as enjoyable as the hike in.

I hope I can attach these pictures correctly -- and I hope you enjoy them!

Attachments

• IMG-3603.jpg
    IMG-3603.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG-3608.jpg
    IMG-3608.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG-3609.jpg
    IMG-3609.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 143
I am currently on a month long solo fishing road trip. 1st week in Boiling Springs. Last week in Penn's Valley ( wading Penn's at night at 875 is a real treat!! ). currently on Kettle Creek. then last of week of trip on the Beaverkill in Roscoe N.Y. then back to Charlotte. Retirement trip ... yes folks .... retirement is GLORIOUS!

Yesterday I explored the Upper Kettle Creek watershed. parked near the bridge, then waded / hiked upstream to the tributary I was looking for ... then hiked / waded and fished way up that tributary. For me .... it was very remote ... 3 wt, wading pants, chest box, hip bag and couple of water bottles. nothing but #14 parachute Adams.

the place literally took my breath away. it was absolutely stunning. Just Stunning.

The native brook trout were just beautiful. you won't believe this .... but a bald headed eagle flew high over me. I could have just kept going upstream. the wade back was just as enjoyable as the hike in.

I night fish about 50 times a year. If you are going to night fish at those flows id recommend stay on bank go with a buddy and fish those soft flooded areas. No need to risk it for the biscuit fish are all probably marginated to sides anyway. Awesome picks beautiful fish!

I learned to FF at Kettle Creek. And always enjoyed the beautiful country side there
The sign at the county line, just below Cross fork, says it all - "Welcome to Potter County, Gods Country"

If you have time while in the area, I would go over to Pine Creek too.
Hike or bike into the gorge above Blackwell.
Even nicer scenery there IMO.
And the fishing can be fantastic too

I night fish about 50 times a year. If you are going to night fish at those flows id recommend stay on bank go with a buddy and fish those soft flooded areas. No need to risk it for the biscuit fish are all probably marginated to sides anyway. Awesome picks beautiful fish!
Heading to Kettle Creek Next week for five days. Group of guys including son, dad and brother we have fished it for 30 years and love every minute of it. It holds a special place in my heart only place I go where you are unplugged. How is the water conditions? Supposed to be hot for a new days next week. Good luck on your journey. Thanks for sharing pictures.

Heading to Kettle Creek Next week for five days. Group of guys including son, dad and brother we have fished it for 30 years and love every minute of it. It holds a special place in my heart only place I go where you are unplugged. How is the water conditions? Supposed to be hot for a new days next week. Good luck on your journey. Thanks for sharing pictures.
There is a good kettle creek stream report thread with excellent photos and hatch reports active right now started by prospector

The water is very low .... lots of flat, very shallow sections in the c&r project section. but ... the bugs are coming off heavy. couple days ago - the drakes started coming off at 1pm. Last night was bug soup ... drake duns , coffin flies, MB AND Gf, tons of little yellow stoneflies and sulphers. and fish are rising!

Last night I chose a spot we'll upstream from the c&r parking lot, and dropped down a pretty steep hillside.. Water was flat and low, but I found a cut under a riffle ... sure enough the coffin flies started dropping ...and a nice bunch of bookies started rising! I had a ball fishing those rises till complete darkness.

Going down that hillside was tricky when it was light .... going back up in darkness .... ?? I almost didn't make it up! I must have some kind of " darkness danger " issues ....

You're gonna have a ball!!

I met you that night on Penns, we parked at the abandoned house, my buddy went downstream and nymph fished. I waited for a hatch on the log and you went above me. It wasn't a good night by penns standards. Nice meeting you and hearing more about your trip. I hope NY treats you well.

Sounds like a really fun trip. Kettle and many of the streams in that region are just gorgeous areas to fish. Each of these waterways is similar but different too. As mentioned, Pine Creek is a beautiful area to explore.

Sounds like a really fun trip. Kettle and many of the streams in that region are just gorgeous areas to fish. Each of these waterways is similar but different too. As mentioned, Pine Creek is a beautiful area to explore.

I met you that night on Penns, we parked at the abandoned house, my buddy went downstream and nymph fished. I waited for a hatch on the log and you went above me. It wasn't a good night by penns standards. Nice meeting you and hearing more about your trip. I hope NY treats you well.
I remember meeting you. it's great to meet really nice folks on the stream like you and your buddy. btw ... I'm really getting my butt kicked on the Beaverkill ... very low water, gin clear .... it's more like stalking / hunting... than fishing. I'm getting my shots .... but missing alot. I got a really nice Brown today on Barnharts Pool .... right upstream from the Hendrickson Pool .... so much fly fishing history on the Beaverkill. Green Drakes were on this evening.

S

I share your love of this beautifu fishery

I remember meeting you. it's great to meet really nice folks on the stream like you and your buddy. btw ... I'm really getting my butt kicked on the Beaverkill ... very low water, gin clear .... it's more like stalking / hunting... than fishing. I'm getting my shots .... but missing alot. I got a really nice Brown today on Barnharts Pool .... right upstream from the Hendrickson Pool .... so much fly fishing history on the Beaverkill. Green Drakes were on this evening.

S
I'm heading up to the west branch on Tuesday I think you'll be home by then. Hope you got some nice fish in NY

Back