Upper Delaware

K

ksherbine

I have to drive to NH next week and could possibly schedule an evening to stop at the upper Delaware on the way to fish one evening and then maybe the next morning a few hours.

I've never fished it before. Is it worthwhile to stop for just a few hours? I figure if nothing else I can scout it out for future trips.

I'll obviously be wading. Any tips on where to start for an evening or early morning? The area around Pond Eddy is right on my way if that makes any difference.

Thanks!
Kirk

Had a few rising fish Saturday around 3 to olives at the gamelands til the wind killed it ..... Not an endorsement , but a fact ...

ksherbine,

If you are looking for trout, Pond Eddy is about 45 miles south of what's considered 'trout water' on the system. If you were looking for smallies, Pond Eddy would be a good section to explore. The drive up Rt 97 from Pond Eddy to Callicoon or further north is a pretty drive that keeps you along the river for most of the distance.

If you only have a PA license, you'll need to stay in the sections of borderwater which have reciprocal agreement with NY / NJ. You ask the question "Is it worth stopping at?" Hard to say unless you could provide the river flow at that time and water temp at that time. In a week or so, I'd expect the water temps to be in the 43-48 degree range. Provided there's no major rain, the flows will continue to drop back making limited wading possible.

Hatches I'd expect to see: Olives, black stones, chimarra caddis

5-6 wt rod will bake handling the bigger water / wind a little easier. 4x tippet is about as light as you need to go this early in the season. Good luck and don't grab the reel handle if you hook a bow.

I was looking into it a little more and would probably stay further north, like the Gamelands / Hancock area, or actually I'm open to ANY suggestions.

Where would be a good spot to wade for a few hours? What flow is max to wade comfortably?

Also, where's a good place to stay too?

Thanks!
Kirk

Comfortable flows will vary between users and sections. Anything much over 600 at Hale will dramatically shrink the wading opportunities. Honestly, wouldn't expect to see much action on top. Still a bit early.

Lodging:
Smith's Colonial
Upper Delaware Inn
Delaware River Club

Good luck

You can access the W Branch at the launch at Shehawkin, 191 Bridge, up Winterdale road to Balls Eddy launch and further up is the game lands.
Main stem access would be at the Buckingham launch. There’s access at Stockport, but I couldn’t explain how to find it if your not familiar with the area.
Also a Flyshop at Shehawkin and Dave can help you out.

And should you find some risers, I HIGHLY encourage you to fish downstream to them.
Good luck.

Check the USGS gage at Hale Eddy. As indicated above 6/800 wading is restricted. Up winterdale rd past Drc and Balls eddy up the old dirt rd parking on both sides is the lower SGL. There’s a lot of water there. I wouldn’t bother if the gage shows higher levels.

Thanks a ton guys!

The gage is up over 1,000 now with more rain coming today so it doesn't look good. I'll keep an eye on it over the weekend though.

Back