Upper delaware river floats

M

mellowluke

Hello,

Recently bought a drift boat, have only drifted rivers several times (delaware and lehigh). I normally fish the upper delaware and wanted to get some input from the forum in terms of float difficulty.

I know it's always dependent on water levels, but what day floats would be easiest to do for a beginning rower?

I was thinking Buckingham to Long Eddy, not much in terms of classed rapids, but wanted to see what everyone thought.

Best input gets a float trip, maybe...

Thanks!

mellowluke wrote:
Hello,

Recently bought a drift boat, have only drifted rivers several times (delaware and lehigh). I normally fish the upper delaware and wanted to get some input from the forum in terms of float difficulty.

I know it's always dependent on water levels, but what day floats would be easiest to do for a beginning rower?

I was thinking Buckingham to Long Eddy, not much in terms of classed rapids, but wanted to see what everyone thought.

Best input gets a float trip, maybe...

Thanks!

Where to float the Upper D River should be more of a game-time decision; depending on flows, hatches, temps, wind, weather, fishing pressure as well as your comfort level handling a drift boat.

The entire upper D river, including the WB and Mainstem is fairly easy to float, with no real rapids or whitewater.

In general, the mainstem is not as crowded and there is more room to float, especially for a novice oar man.

Check the conditions and post on here a day or two before your trip for up-to-date advice. Good fishing.

I would say balls eddy to shehawken if you are a beginner. No rapids or anything just a few riffles. Lots of good water in there from balls eddy wall down to shehawken creek. Not too long of a float either. If the west branch is below 500 i wouldnt float it as a beginner as you may drag bottom. Just find a shuttle and you should be good.-Kev

Kev, Kev, Kev. You gave away your favorite float! LOL. Seriously, the float from Balls to Shehawken isn't the best for a novice as there are several narrower chutes that are filled with wade fishermen. Hale to Balls would be more crowded yet with wade anglers.

Luke,
The float you mentioned (Buck to Long Eddy) is a good easy one to start out on. The row out is almost 2 miles through dead water and the ramp is hard to spot. Make sure you get a good look at it in daylight or you'll hate life.

PM Sent

The trouble with using a drift boat on the Upper Delaware is not where to float, it is simply a very slow river to be using a drift boat on, you have very long slow pools to cross on your way, especially from Buckingham to Long Eddy. While that's an easy day trip, you'll do more paddling than fishing.
As to other methods of floating the river, I have traversed that same section in a canoe, and you can do that in an evening. I have not used other float methods.

Andy,

I rowed that trip my first time in a boat. LOL. I didnt think it was that tough, although i was with a professional. Come on you know the favorite float would be barking dog to buckingham! haha

The only problem with hale eddy is the launch. It really sucks. If you arent accurate at where your trailer is heading, youll hit the sharp rocks on the side of the launch. Well i said Balls to shehawken because thats below the gamelands where a bunch of anglers would be. And deff stay away from the upper mainstem. Bard Parker, and all the way down to knights will have wade fisherman.

Honestly, there isn't really a difficult float on the upper D system. Just make sure you understand the mechanics of rowing a drift boat and you should be fine. You're best bet is to find someone to give you a rowing class for a day so you're more confident.

I did PM an offer to help. Not that the floats are difficult but understanding how to row is very helpful. Also, understanding the difference between 300 cfs at Hale Eddy and 5000 cfs at Hale Eddy could save your boat, your back from dragging it or your life.

Back