Upper Bay Lower Susquehanna E.coli bacteria

caddisflyer

caddisflyer

The striper fishing this year has been almost non existent since the season opened in the lower river area below Conowingo Dam. Some fishermen are saying low oxygen and E.coli are responsible. The early rains and high water overwhelmed sewage treatment plants and also agricultural runoff was bad they say. The Smallmouth fishing has really not turned on in the river either in our area.

Non existent is right. Also no smallmouth bass. I don’t even see pictures of people catching smallmouth at the dam.

Non existent is right. Also no smallmouth bass. I don’t even see pictures of people catching smallmouth at the dam.
Saw this pic taken right at the Conowingo Dam.......just sayin:unsure:

I’d bet that was fun on a jig and whatever line wt he used w/ that small jig.

It would be good for dinner. Love me some catfish.
Yeah, but that's a blue. Are they above the dam? We don't need them colonizing the upper Susky, Juniata, etc. we don't need more repeats of the James River.

Oh, I think they are supposed to be delicious... Better than channel, but not as good as flatheads. They are just highly invasive and damaging.
Gotcha. You're right about the invasive aspect of them in the Susky and Juniata.

I took a big Blue cat home and tried it. I was not impressed. Of course a smaller one might be better. I have enjoyed smaller Channel cats from clean water. I did not care for the Flathead either. I caught all the Blue cats below Conowingo and none above it.

Back in the day, I used to catch channel cats below the Flat Rock Dam in Lower Merion one after the other. They couldn't resist chicken livers! They always gave up a great fight too. These fish were in the 18"-22" range and were delicious eating!

Back in the day, I used to catch channel cats below the Flat Rock Dam in Lower Merion one after the other. They couldn't resist chicken livers! They always gave up a great fight too. These fish were in the 18"-22" range and were delicious eating!
Thats a good eating size

Yeah, but that's a blue. Are they above the dam? We don't need them colonizing the upper Susky, Juniata, etc. we don't need more repeats of the James River.
There was a confirmed catch of a Blue at least 2 yrs ago in Lake Clark, York Co, the impoundment formed by Safe Harbor Dam, which is 2 dams upstream from Conowingo Dam. They’re here and I expect that they will be in, if not already in the Delaware. They’ll come through the C&D Canal.

There was a confirmed catch of a Blue at least 2 yrs ago in Lake Clark, York Co, the impoundment formed by Safe Harbor Dam, which is 2 dams upstream from Conowingo Dam. They’re here and I expect that they will be in, if not already in the Delaware. They’ll come through the C&D Canal.
I saw a Snakehead above Safe Harbor...actually up above Red Hill Dam above Goldsboro.

Big channel and flathead cats are made into excellent eating fish by filleting out the brown lateral band from the meat, just as can be done with bluefish, for example. I also don’t eat the belly meat, which is fatty, in my view tastes bad, and is one of the locations in fish where certain contaminants build up in association with the lipids located there (fatty nature of certain parts of fish).

Last edited:
Back