Upgrading 8wt Reel

M

MiamiMikePA

Hey guys,

Looking to put together an 8wt outfit for bonefishing. Going to go with a 9ft 8wt G Loomis NRX rod and am trying to decide on a reel. The primary use for the reel would be for bones, but it would also double as my steelhead reel. I'm currently using an Orvis Clearwater LA reel on an Orvis Clearwater 10ft 8wt rod. Would continue to use the same rod, but the CW reel would act as a backup. So far been leaning towards either an Abel 7/8N or Hatch 7+. Anybody have any experience with either? Also, open to other suggestions.

Thanks
Mike

Between the two, Hatch

killer reel. The sealed drag will serve you well fishing in terrible cold conditions for steel too.

Check out Colton as well. They are coming out with a full sealed drag very soon (like the Hatch) and it would cost you about half as much. I have an older unsealed Colton that is a tank. I've swam in the surf with it and whatnot and it still worked perfectly.

Allen is releasing a fully sealed reel as well. Saw it at the Somerset show. Looks awesome.

Allen is releasing a fully sealed reel as well. Saw it at the Somerset show. Looks awesome.

That reel is sick! I need Allen to let me test one out for Carp. :-D

Mike,

If you are set on an Able or Hatch. Just wanted to let you know the guys at Able do have a new sealed drag reel coming out. Had a few conversations with them during the shows, but not sure when it will be on the site or released.

If you are looking outside those two companies and want to stay in the States. We do have our Omega reel coming our in late March. Those who have seen the last prototype at the shows have been blown away.

I'd be happy to answer any questions, if you have any.

Thank you,

Justin

Hey Justin,

I'm the same Mike from NAFFF who bought the ATS off you a few months back. Thanks for the heads up on the Abel. I'm in no rush to buy this as my bonefish trip isn't until Nov. Trying to get an earlier one locked in, but that wouldn't be until probably July. Would love to take a look at the new Omega. Will the Omega have a sealed drag? Will you guys be at the Lancaster show next month?

Thanks
Mike

Hey Mike,

No problem on Able. Yes, the Omega is a true sealed drag. We weld it shut and re-machine it to seal it up. Yes, we will be at the Lancaster show. Look forward meeting you.

Thanks

Justin

The Orvis Mirage are the best big game reels on the market IMO.

I have a couple colton 789s, and a Hatch 7+.

The colton's are tanks but heavy. However, they are affordable :)

The hatch 7+ feels amazing - light, but substantial. Balances perfectly on my 9ft 8wt rainshadow RX8.

However, I just got it and it has only gotten use one afternoon so far in the bahamas - and only on Jacks (no bonefish that day).

A bit pricey - but if you are looking to splurge a bit Hatch 7+ is my vote.

http://www.nautilusreels.com/

Back