Update from the Keystone Coldwater Conference

TimRobinsin

TimRobinsin

Western Pennsylvania Conservancy is looking for landowners in the kettle creek watershed to participate in an ongoing project to identify and quantify brook trout streams in the kettle creek watershed. from what I can gather they are working on trying to establish some baseline data to aid in preserving the area. if you own land on a trib to kettle creek or knows someone who may want to help out please contact:

Eli Long at the Western Pa Conservancy

elong@paconserve.org

just wanted to pass along some info from the conference. while the entire conference has been a great learning experience I really thought the work these folks are doing is great.

Gee, I would have thought the baseline data is already out there with all the stream surveys PFBC does.

they are doing surveys of un-assessed / un-named waters.

Hey Tim, thanks for posting this. For whatever reason, it never occurred to me to reach out to folks on this forum.

Chaz, to answer your question, the majority of this project is focused on unassessed streams in the Upper Kettle Creek watershed.

That said, there are private landowners we have worked with that are on already assessed streams. The point of this work is to develop conservation & stewardship plans for private landowners: survey wild trout populations, assess in-stream habitat and identify potential restoration projects that can then be completed by WPC and partners.

If anyone has any questions or would like more information, I will stick around the forums.

WPC,
Thanks for the heads-up and welcome to our online community. By all means, please keep us informed of the progress of this excellent program. You don't need to name exact streams or properties....but some general info or links to published studies etc would be of interest to our many readers who love that area.
DaveW

Here is a link to our presentation from the Coldwater Conference.

http://www.coldwaterheritage.org/docs/2014-conference-/long--engaging-private-landowners.pdf?sfvrsn=0

You can peruse and view all of the PowerPoints here:

http://www.coldwaterheritage.org/keystone-coldwater-conference

great presentation.. love the typical unassessed stream size image :)

slides 52-53, showing 1/130 tiny-stream brookies @ 10 inches, (that is, less than 1%), is great info also.

Back