unreal ties and some very cool patterns

B

bam

I just wanted to point out some amazing ties on youtube. Just type in the name Davie McPhail on youtube and watch all the vids that come up. Even if you'll never fish the fly, just watching him tie is unreal. I actually find myself watching the same vids over and over.

Here is one of my favorites and I killed the stockies with it this spring...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICq9dNuQ7VE

Nice. I will have to try that out. Catch any fish with it??

do you use the epoxy like he does?

Great looking fly, and very slick method. Any idea what that varnish is...just run of the mill varnish? I couldn't understand what he said in that section.

Thanks for posting the vid.

He said it was some old head cement that had thickened.

I also tied a few in smaller sizes with a turn of soft hackle behind the thorax and left out the epoxy for caddis patterns. Worked great and a very quick tie

Great, thanks Bam.

Also, I just found on his website that he uses two varnishes:
1) Rimmel 60 seconds clear
2) Veniards Celline Number 1 Clear (fine)

Just an FYI...

I'm sure you could use a scud back instead of the epoxy or cement.

I've just tried out a similar pattern tied just slightly different. I think someone posted the picture a while back but love how it works for a nice caddis pattern.

Hook: curved caddis hook
Materials: sparkle yarn - white or green
Peacock
dubbing

Wrap hook with lead. Start thread and separate sparkle yarn into the 3 braided pieces. Take 2 and attach at bend of hook. Take dubbing (green for green yarn, tan for white yarn, or your preference) and place inbetween two strands of yarn and form a dubbing loop.

A dubbing loop is made by placing hairs of dubbing inbetween the two pieces of yarn lengthwise so that the hairs are sticking out on both ends. Then take the yarn ends and twist until very tight.

Take the loop and wrap up 2/3 of the way up the hook and tie off. Then wrap peacock for the remainder like in the video above. It is a killer looking patern and looks great under the water.

I'll try to post pictures later... but probably not till after the JAM.

Ryan

Another simple nymph pattern and a good imitation for those who used to fish mealworms for stockies...

Flo green floss works great too. Trust me :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USSg2ETuFMQ

man this fly would be deadly on the little j where spruce runs into it, that place is absolutely loaded with caddis. You cant make a single drift without catching at least 3 cases of them.

Great tie. It was unclear to me what he used for the ribbing, was it just regular floss? would strips of latex or thin skin work as well?

Back