Unknown insect

Chetty82

Chetty82

This is what I have known to be a stick worm found in streams encased in a cocoon of small sticks and pebbles not sure what the name is called but this is what it looks like and a nymph too

looks like a caddis larvae

Chetty,
the top photo is a caddis larva from the case maker category,not sure if its glossoma or limnephilidae but they are also found all over the pocono streams,cases are made of small stick and twig debris,also they get close toinch and a half long .the second photo is of a mayfly nymph,its wing case isnt dark yet so it has time till it will hatch,its a member of the clinger family which could be a rithrogena,heptagenia,or stenonema, these nymphs tied in sizes #10,#12,#14,#16 ala oliver edwards style wiork extremely well. try to tie all your flies as close to color of the natural when fishing extremely pressured streams.always wet the tying medium to see what color it gets when wet or when treated withh sinkant or floatant.then when you are as close as your eyes determine the color it is tie the fly.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace
P.S. i tie my cased caddis of that particular species on a mustad 79580 .

lonewolve : most of my caddis nymph patterns are imitating that particular larvae - isnt that a good general searching nymph pattern during a caddis hatch?

went out today and missed 2 on a black ant

Check out this pic.This is from the Global Fly Fisher website. This fly pattern looks like a perfect match for your bug. You can get the pattern and instructions here: Shark's Cadis Larva
image.php

I tried to make these, but I'm afraid mine just didn't turn out this good.

What really throws me off is twisting in the dubbing in the antron.

I should try again, God knows looking at that picture makes me think this is an incredible matchup...

Gfen,
Don't know if you are interested or not but we have a flytying club in the lehigh valley and we meet once a month from september thru may 1- 4 on sundays , i tie this pattern and i could teach ya how to get it a lil better.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

gfen wrote:
I tried to make these, but I'm afraid mine just didn't turn out this good.

What really throws me off is twisting in the dubbing in the antron.

I should try again, God knows looking at that picture makes me think this is an incredible matchup...

I am by no means an expert, but I think the technique used here is very similar to a dubbing loop, however the dubbing is sparse, and inbetween the antron yarn, rather than just dubbing... if that made sense. I am going to try some of these later, looks like a fantastic pattern. I'll let you know how mine turn out.

I tied up one of those caddis nymphs yesterday... it turned out pretty good. I only had white sparkle yarn I use for my Lafontaines, but it worked pretty well. I used a black bead, and peacock in the front. I forgot to add lead, but will to my others. I'll add a pic if I can... the good camera broke the other week, need to get it fixed.

Back