undoing flies

David

David

Just wanted some input on what is the most effective way to "undo" a fly. I've been going through my boxes and taking flies that were bad ties, or got mangled by fish, to strip them back into a bare hook for new ties. The two methods I use are heavy scissors and burning. Even with heavy duty scissors, this still seems to be rough on the scissors with lead, wire, and the the thickness of some bodies. The burning doesn't seem to be too healthy with some nasty fumes from synthetics (and I set the smoke detector off again). How does every one else do it?

Burning and razor blades have always worked for me. I always had a big box of reject ties, but found it was a giant pain to go through them all to strip them. That box is somewhere around here...

IMO, hooks are cheap and not worth the time to de-fly-the- tie. Donate them.

Joe E

I usually do not try to reuse the hook, but the beads are a different story. I use mostly tungsten beads so it is worth the effort to break the eye off the hook and get the bead back.

I just put the hook in the vice just like you were tying the fly, then use a razorblade in a sawing motion starting at the eye and working back to the bend. All of the materials come right off. I have a lot of crappy flies that I tied when I first started tying, and I try to reuse whatever I can.

I tie bushels of #10 deerhair ants. They last about 6 fish before becoming useless. So, I usually reuse the hooks.

I use a cheap disposable razor. You don't need to use the ones that have 5 blades, vibrate and play a Chopin nocturne. Single or double edge store brand work just fine. Even with the razor, it's still a little bit of a PITA. But it works...

I use a razor blade
I've repaired lots of flies over the years. Lots of them have chewed bodies and tails, while the wings and hackles are fine. It takes very little time to cut off the body, right behind the wing, and tail, - and tie new ones in.

I also get some flies that just need a new hackle added, which is also quite simple to do

I also use a single edge razor blade-- and I have the scars to prove it!

yep, a razor blade

For me it depends what materials the fly is tied with. Things that un-wrap, like chenelle andcut them off. However, if it is dubbing, I either burn in off with a camp lighter, or give them to kids at school.

So burning the materials off the hook doesn't create enough heat to change the metal of the hook and make it say either more britle or more maliable than it would normally be?

They may be a little more brittle, but I haven't noticed any "malfunctions."
It usually doesn't take much flame; it;s like hair (or sometimes is hair) in that once lit, it bubbles almost completely away. There is always some gunk left on the hook that can be scraped off.

Back