Underwater Observations

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
Attached is an article that appeared in "Field & Stream". It lists 10 observations from the writer who scuba dived and observed others fly fishing for trout. Interesting stuff. Do you agrre with all 10 observations? (Note: there are 11 pages - click next to go to the next page)

http://www.fieldandstream.com/fieldstream/fishing/
photogallery/article/0,13355,1575804,00.html

I don't think any of his observations were shocking or groundbreaking. So yeah, i'd pretty much agree with what he wrote.

The fact that tippet size doesn't matter was good to hear. I personally don't like going below 5X.

I read the article a few days or a week ago and remember being somewhat surprised at the reaction of the fish to the false cast. Not that I didn't know or hear it before, but because I probably neglect this aspect of stealth more often than I should. In particular, I wonder whether it is the shadow of the moving line that might spook trout, such that a false cast need not pass directly overhead to spook the trout, but that it may do so even if it merely passes somewhere between the sun and the trout's position.

Of the list of 10, tippet size was the only thing that I question. I’m not one of those 7x…8x…9x!!…guys, but sometimes tippet diameter seems to make a difference. Many times I’ve changed to a lighter tippet with the same fly and began catching fish. I don’t believe that it is really because of visibility. Since heavier tippet is stiffer, it causes a dry fly to drag more when the tippet is too heavy, especially on smaller flies. This is also true for nymphs. I now tie most of my nymphs weighted to counteract the tippet, and to get deep without, or with only a little added weight.

With that being said, I rarely use anything smaller than 6x. I have a 7x spool of tippet in my vest that must be 4 or 5 years old. I use it only for tiny midges. I should replace it this year since it’s so old. What do you think?

I believe tippet diameter makes a difference in only two situations. Both are above water (and this guys observations were under water). I think in presentation as afishinado mentioned above. And when SURFACE feeding fish are finicky. I have had success catching previously uncatchable fish, on the surface, by going to a smaller tippet. I have never had better results from going with a smaller tippet, subsurface.

The piece about missed strikes while nymphing made me think of those who talk about the zen-like "feel the fish" method, when they don't detect any movement of tippet/indicator, but have some mysterious intuition that they should set the hook. What's probably happening is that just by chance a fish has taken the fly when the hook is set. Since this is happening a lot without knowing it, every now and then you hook up.

Wulff-Man wrote:
The piece about missed strikes while nymphing made me think of those who talk about the zen-like "feel the fish" method, when they don't detect any movement of tippet/indicator, but have some mysterious intuition that they should set the hook. What's probably happening is that just by chance a fish has taken the fly when the hook is set. Since this is happening a lot without knowing it, every now and then you hook up.

You had to go and blow my cover? While there is truth to what you say, the same applies to those who use bobbers and such: they hook up by chance. The difference is that they think there was skill involved, while us zen-nymphers attribute the luck to our special intuitive prowess.

I'm kind of a small tippet guy, but at the same time I'm not sure if it is the visibility or the micro drag a heavier tippet might impart to a small fly. I regularly fish for those fish sipping no see ums, with 20's and smaller. I think it was an article years ago with Lefty Kreh; He was using 5x with a 20 fly and not clipping the tag end short and catching fish, so go figure.
As for the fish taking and spitting out the fly, yeah buddy, they can do it without you knowing it, in even slower water, if you are relying on an indicator. High sticking/tight line you might, might not feel the bump, I don't know.
That's why it's called fishing, not catching. :lol:

Back