Uncle Phil's wet fly

J

johneby

Can anyone send a phot of Uncle Phil's wet fly and/or give a brief description on how to tie one ?

It's an old wet fly pattern. I did a google search and found a copy of an old Al Troth catalog from the Fiberglass Flyrodders site here.

Below is a B&W pic from the catalog. Since it's B&W, it will be hard to really see what colors and materials were used to tie it. Perhaps someone familiar with the older wet fly patterns can help.

Apparently Al liked it as a point fly in his trio of flies in size 6 or 8.... :)

Attachments

• uncle phil.jpg
    uncle phil.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 11
Johneby, This pattern appeared many years ago in one of those free fly fishing magazines. It was submitted by Jerry Stettler, owner of Fly Tyers Heaven in Sunbury, Pa. About 60 years ago he and his dad encountered an elderly gentleman (Uncle Phil) while fishing Penns Creek who shared the pattern. They all did well with it.

Hook: Mustad 3399A or 3906B
Thread: 3/0 black Danville
Weight: .025 lead wire
Underbody: green yarn to shape body
Tail: brown hen hackle, gape length
Rib: extra small gold Mylar tinsel
Body: peacock herl, three strands
Beard: brown hen hackle
Wing: gray squirrel

My note: No hook size was given. From the photo in the article, this is not a super slim, dainty fly. The tail, beard, and wing are substantial. It might even have been tied on a size 8 or 10 size hook, not unusual in those days. Perhaps it could imitate a stone fly. Don't crowd the eye, tie a large head to lock in the wing. I hope this is the pattern you are looking for.

InCahoots wrote:
Johneby, This pattern appeared many years ago in one of those free fly fishing magazines. It was submitted by Jerry Stettler, owner of Fly Tyers Heaven in Sunbury, Pa. About 60 years ago he and his dad encountered an elderly gentleman (Uncle Phil) while fishing Penns Creek who shared the pattern. They all did well with it.

My note: No hook size was given. From the photo in the article, this is not a super slim, dainty fly. The tail, beard, and wing are substantial. It might even have been tied on a size 8 or 10 size hook, not unusual in those days. Perhaps it could imitate a stone fly. Don't crowd the eye, tie a large head to lock in the wing. I hope this is the pattern you are looking for.

Great! I knew someone on here would come up with the recipe.

If you look in the bottom left corner of the pic I posted, under point fly, it is listed as a size 6 to 8.

Uncle Phil is creepy. Looks a bit like a picket pin.

JackM wrote:
Uncle Phil is creepy. Looks a bit like a picket pin.

I don't know about creepy but I guess it's very similar to a picket pin, but with a brown hackle beard instead of palmered brown hackle.

Fly Tying Recipe: Picket Pin

Hook:2X-long nymph/wet fly hook, size 12.
Thread:Black, 6/0.
Tail:Red squirrel tail or brown hackle fibers.
Rib:Gold UTC Ultra Wire, small.
Body:peacock herl.
Hackle:brown.
Wing:Gray squirrel tail.
Head:peacock herl.
Adhesive:Head cement

http://howtoflyfish.orvis.com/fly-tying-videos/salt-bass-streamer-flies/641-picket-pin

Attachments

• picket pin.jpg
    picket pin.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 5
Maybe it was Uncle Ernie, who welcomed you to Tommy's Holiday Camp.

Uncle Ernie, right.

The blown up the picture shows the Uncle Phil tied on 6 - 8 - 10 hooks.

Interesting to see the hook sizes recommended for all these classics.

By the way,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOlZutHUI4o

Uncle%20Phil%202_zpsjrmqfitt.jpg

InCahoots wrote:

i tied the fly i posted using the recipe above and as stated this is not a slim or dainty fly. its designed to sink and sink fast.

.025 lead wire is large and heavy and will give you a robust under body

Nfrechet, You really nailed it. Great looking tie of the Unclelis Philious!

Back