UMPQUA SLING PACKS

nittspike

nittspike

Hi All,
I am in the market for a new larger sling pack and was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Umpqua Steamboat Sling or the Ambi Sling and can offer some insight, pros/cons etc?

Thanks,
John

I have to experience with their slingpacks, but I have one of their small chest packs, and it's very well thought out and made. Prices are usually good too, especially if you can find them on sale somewhere.

I have been lurking in the shadows and haven't posted in a while, but I bought one of the umpqua ambi-slings this year and thought I would contribute. Here is my take on it. I find these umpqua slings to be a bit overpriced, but I used my points from cabelas to buy it. The sling pack in my opinion is very useful. The main reason I switched from vest to sling pack is so I could use it for multi species and techniques. I can keep a box of nymphs and dry flies with all my accesories and fish comfortably. However when nymphing I tend to change flies a lot, and flipping the sling bag around is a bit of a pain to do every couple of minutes. I ended up getting a small "working" slim box that I keep in my wader pocket to eliminate having to go in the pack as often.When I decide to throw streamers I just take my other boxes out and leave them in the car. There is plenty of room for a big streamer "meat"box. I fit a large MFC clear box just fine.I can also use the pack for smallmouth too without changing anything out. The pack itself is comfortable and it doesn't bounce around when casting. Plenty of room for all your tools and whatnot as well. I forget it's in my back most of the time. I played with both packs in the store and went with the ambi. I preferred the ambi sling pack over the steamboat because you can completely set it up on whatever side you like. I also liked the orientation of the zippers on the ambi pack better. The built in hidden zinger spots are pretty clever. I was very skeptical of the hemostat holders (you basically just clamp your stats on some material) but have not had them fall out yet after about a dozen trips.Overall I'm pretty happy with the set up and it eliminates the need to have a vest, a separate streamer set up and something for small mouth. I wouldn't pay the full price of $140 for it but if you can snag a deal it's well worth it. Very well built product.!

Thanks Biker and Blue, i really appreciate the feedback.

Got my girlfriend the Ambi for Christmas this past year. She prefers slings and needed something larger (or perhaps I needed her to have something larger :lol: so I didn't have to carry her rain jacket and lunch in my pack).

Anyway, the idea behind the Ambi is you can set it up for either shoulder and can access it by slinging it in either direction. Most of the pockets have zippers on both sides or that wrap the whole way around...so the bottom of a pocket in some cases is a zipper, and not stitching...important to remember. Practically, it makes the most sense to set up all the zippers for the pockets based on which shoulder you're gonna wear it, and which direction you're gonna sling it, and stick to that.

It's big...similar storage room in the big compartment to my Bean Kennebec backpack. Takes a rain jacket, lunch, can of beer easy and could take far more...double that probably. Water bottle pocket holds a full size 32 oz Nalgene, which is nice. It rides in the middle of the back, fairly high, with good strap support. That's one of my complaints of many slings...they ride low on a hip and you end up inadvertently dunking them.

I paid close to sticker price I think...got it at BPS with some other stuff and got over the threshold to get 15% off or something like that on the entire purchase. At sticker price there are other packs I'd buy first for myself (I like backpacks with a few pockets on the straps up front) but packs are very personal preference, and this is what she wanted, and will probably be perfect for some folks. She loves it, FWIW. And so do I now that she's carrying her own lunch and jacket!

I have an atom I like, you can stay organized and hassle free with the way they have the sections organized. If your looking for it holding the same as a large vest, this isn't it but for a day or afternoon it's great. Holds a large drink or I use the same holder for a rain jacket instead. Very comfortable but not ambidextrous, just right shoulder.

Back