U.S. Stimulus Bill Provides Billions for Parks, Habitat and Mine Cleanup

flyfishermanj

flyfishermanj

Start the money printing presses! We can have the dollar inflated down to nothing by next fall if we play our cards right.

I guess it'll be nice to get some recreation out of it...

J,

The same thought came to me when I first read the article too! I may broke, but the fishing will get better.

JH

At this rate, we'll need all the streamside relaxation we can get.

I guess I shouldn't send this next stimulus check straight to japan. No videogames this time. I'm thinking about buying a few hundred custom flies from FFP with it.

I think these are the types of expenditures some were calling "Unneccessary Pork."

Probably, but that wasn't me. I can find a personal argument against almost all government spending, not just this stuff.

There are so many stipulations attached with these packages I doubt that much of the money ends up in the hands of anyone who can do good with it.

albud1962 wrote:
There are so many stipulations attached with these packages I doubt that much of the money ends up in the hands of anyone who can do good with it.

Like what ?

There is over 40 million in mine clean up funds, but the state won't release any of it for new projects (A good portion of it going for maintenance and to fix projects that didn't work). The money is for shovel ready projects. Well if in the past no money was allocated for doing the permitting and engineering,how will this be done? Previously there hasn't been much money available for the design of new projects and with the pool of ready to construct projects limited I see this money diverted to other areas. The word out is that Growing Greener is dead and all the funds are be being diverted to the state's budget deficit.

Thanks Rendell.

albud1962 wrote:
There is over 40 million in mine clean up funds, but the state won't release any of it for new projects (A good portion of it going for maintenance and to fix projects that didn't work). The money is for shovel ready projects. Well if in the past no money was allocated for doing the permitting and engineering,how will this be done? Previously there hasn't been much money available for the design of new projects and with the pool of ready to construct projects limited I see this money diverted to other areas. The word out is that Growing Greener is dead and all the funds are be being diverted to the state's budget deficit.

Thanks Rendell.

I saw a similar report on road and bridge projects. Elk county can't afford the up front engineering work so they get no stimulus money even though they have significantly higher unemployment than other areas. Some counties with almost no unemployment have cash for the engineering so they get the projects. I guess you could argue that the project will employ people from outside the areas but it's common that whole regions suffer similar problems shutting them out from the help that was targeted for their situation.

Back