types of flies?

C

cl3

OK, photobucket is no bueno... pic is attached now... what are the names of these flies, and when is ideal to use them? Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_8036.JPG
    IMG_8036.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 8
Left to right:

Wooly bugger.
Mickey Finn bucktail.
Unknown (to me) streamer.
Damsel fly nymph.
Shenk's White Minnow.

I'd fish them all the same -- as streamers, although all but the the Mickey Finn and the unknown can be fished dead drift as well. I would normally only fish them when the water is a bit high, but that's me.

The black, olive and white flies are all bead head woolly buggers.

McSneek wrote:
The black, olive and white flies are all bead head woolly buggers.

Look again.

Not everything with a marabou tail is a woolly bugger.

EDIT: Although, when I look again, I can't tell for certain that the white one is what I think it is (spun wool bodied, no hackle). It could also be a white woolly bugger (chenille bodied, palmered hackle.) I just can't tell against the background, no mater how large I blow up the photo.

The olive is definitely not a woolly bugger.

I looked several times before I typed my first reply and I stand by it. All three flies are bead head woolly buggers. They have marabou tails, chenille bodies and a palmered hackle. They're just tied a little differently. For instance the black bugger has a heavier hackle than the olive bugger.

The olive bugger just has more hackle at the collar than the others and it has a bushier tail. I can clearly see palmered white hackle on the white bugger. No way that is a Shenk's white minnow which is made with a spun dubbing loop of sheep's wool trimmed to shape.

The damsel nymph does not have a palmered hackle, nor it is tyed with chenille.

You may very well be right about the white one. Or, the body could catcus chenille (making it a sparkle grub). I just can't tell from the photo.

Do I need to mail you two one of each for personal inspection?!

No, but you could answer a couple of questions:

1) Does the white fly have palmered hackle? (I.e. does it have a feather wrapped around it for the full length of the fly.)

2) Is the body of that fly made of a) wool b) chenille (essentially a pipe cleaner with thread instead of wire) or c) some sparkly plastic looking stuff?

The white fly has a clear bead head, and the material that is the tail is tied around a pipe cleaner body. I'd call it hair, not feather.

The black one too, but has gold bead head.

I actually have two versions of the green one, both have a fluffier feather tail AND a more hair-like one wrapping the body pipe cleaner. One has a gold round bead head, and the variant has a more cone-shaped gold head plus some iridescent strips in the body.

Streamer, wet fly, wet fly, streamer, streamer, nailed it, first try.

Thanks for the clarification -- the McSneek is correct about the white fly -- it's a white woolly bugger.

I'm guessing that one of your olive ones is an olive woolly bugger and the other a damsel nymph. Many damsel nymphs (google and look at pictures) are essentially woolly buggers anyway.

Ideal time to use them Now

melivinp: You ever fish the Tunkhannock behind Keystone College? I did a couple of weeks ago before the rains. I tied one of the green wooly buggers above a pheasant tail nymph and caught some creek chubs, on the pheasant tail.

These aren't meant to fished in tandem, are they?

Also, do they work on smallmouth? They are bigger.

All of the flies will work very well for smallmouth, and all can be used in tandem with a nymph.

Back