Tying with Gel-Spun thread

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
Some good tips for tying with GSP >

Last edited:
Let us know where there is a video on how to prevent these threads from tangling upon themselves on the spool and becoming utterly useless.

(I actually like GSP thread for the most part.)

Really love this style of thread, as they lay flat, can be corded with ease, and are super strong. My go-to is Semperfli Nano Silk. They now make a GSP wax that can be used on Nano (and all other GSP's), if you have a need for it: https://www.semperfli.net/BGWX000BLK.html

White GSP also disappears after applying head cement.

Bought some.....can't stand using it.

I only use GSP for certain tasks where I need strength without bulk. It's all I use for tying in hair and lashing on dumbbell eyes after being introduced to it by the "hair-master," the late Chris Helm.

I keep mine on a Cermag Rite Bobbin also recommended by Chris and I never had any issues with the GSP or the bobbins.

BTW - DON'T use it for foam. It stretches so thin and is so strong that it can easily cut through the foam making your fly fragile. I prefer 3/0 Gudebrod for foam.

I really like tying with Semperfli Nano Silk. It is tough as nails. Brown or Olive in 12/0 or 18/0 for the smaller size flies. IMO it is tough to beat.

Back