tying with cree

Q

quillfly

I have had the oppertunity to tie with cree several times and think it creates a great ginger coloration but is not a subistitute for brown and grizzly what are your opinions

thanks

There's cree and then there's cree... Cree hackles can vary in how light or dark the overall coloration looks once they are wound on a fly. Many years ago when CQH was still producing necks, I bought two 1/2 #2 cree necks. One was fairly light and produced the ginger hues you noted. The other was darker and was dead nuts on for the Adams combo.

So, they vary..

quillfly wrote:
I have had the oppertunity to tie with cree several times and think it creates a great ginger coloration but is not a subistitute for brown and grizzly what are your opinions

thanks

What problem, or difference, are you seeing?

by RLeep2 on 2011/10/7 8:42:10

There's cree and then there's cree...

thanks

+1. The one you want is always hard to find. But that's almost the way it always is. Good hen's necks in furnace seem to be another for me. Can't find exactly what i want but i've seen friends that are gorgeous.

Who's "cree" hackle was it? Ie what hackle farm? Seeing how all cree hackles are just trying to imitate whiting.

I have tied with metz Whiting and A dark collins cree.

actually two metz one which was really ginger with a little dark barring allmost no white. the other had a good mix of white ginger black and brown it tied the best . the whiting had good coloration and the standard whiting high barble count but with all those barbles it really emphized the underside of the hackle(which was white)

the collins was the closest to a single adams subistitute and was a great neck but it was missing a lot ot the white of a ture cree

personally im a collins fan great stuff at great prices

not really a problem so much as that they just seem really gingery to me they make a great sulpher and yellow cahill just that they lack the mixing you get in say a barred ginger with both ginger and black or white

Excuse me, I'm really not Blonde, But what is Cree hackle? Feathers from Crows? I can't find it in Fly Shops...

StaggerLee wrote:
Excuse me, I'm really not Blonde, But what is Cree hackle? Feathers from Crows? I can't find it in Fly Shops...

Here ya go Blondie: http://tinyurl.com/6dl7n3e

FrequentTyer wrote:
StaggerLee wrote:

Here ya go Blondie: http://tinyurl.com/6dl7n3e

Thank you kindly. But now I feel stupid.

Back