tying today

A

atticus

Feel like tying some flies today. What should I be tying now for fishing on the Gunpowder this March?

If it were me, I'd focus on some winter stonefly patterns.
Midges of various types might also prove useful.

I'm not a Gunpowder regular however there is some fairly up-to-date info on the GP in the Reports forum if you haven't already noticed it.

Little brown stoneflies should be on the water for the next month or so. I usually use a dark wet fly, size 14, for them. A dark ECH in that size, fished downstream and moved about can be productive as well, as will a Renegade fished the same way. Drag them on the surface or pull them under.

Expect to start seeing olives pretty soon. I've seen fishable hatches as early as the first week in March. Size 18 and 20 BWO's (or just a parachute Adams) and pheasant tails (nymph or soft hackle.)

Hendricksons are about a month away. It's not too soon to be thinking about tying those. Light Hendrickson and Red Quill dries, rusty spinners and Dark Hendrickson wets. (Nymphs of your choice if that's the way you like to fish.)

If you fish up toward the dam, midges are always in order.

Keep an eye on the flow gauge. If it goes back up over about 120 cfs (it's about 35 right now) start throwing streamers.

I'm sure Ryan will have a slightly different list.

Back