Tying shotgun

sundrunk

sundrunk

The next destination has us on the road for hour's...I've got this old stationary vise on a lap board...The car deliver's a smooth ride... I figure I'll prep some materails, put on my seatbelt and give it a try...I'll let you all know how it turns out...

I can't imagine being able to do that. I hope your flys look better than Festus's 54 centers! Or that you don't put a bodkin in your eye! Let us know how you do.

dude,
you are going to have about 4 mustads imbedded in your digits.

JackM tried this in my 4runner on the way down to TN last year. He gave up pretty quick. Kinda hard to tie a fly going 70mph+. This was on a good WV road as well. I actually think he started to get car sick if my memory serves me right.

This is turning into a sore subject. Yes, it has been a long winter. Gentleman still, I beg you to consider that there are some smooth rides to be had out there. Mind you, I wasn't thinking back roads or dusty old service roads of sorts...

Sundrunk, all I can say is good luck. I was a little ill on the way home Matt, but the reason I quit trying to tie on the way down was that despite the relatively smooth ride of a car, the subtle bumps and bobs that mean nothing when you are riding are a real pain in the rear when you are trying to tie. I found it possible to tie only by holding on to the fly with my empty hand while winding thread with the other. The wooly bugger or two I managed to finish were even uglier than the ones I tie at the comfort of my stationary desk. And believe me, I have tied some ugly flies. Why, Festus' poorly proportioned $0.54 flies are downright swans compared to those car-ties.

Well considering that I shake like Michael J Fox and have never driven a straight line in my life; I'd say Jack's two flies are quite a feat.

I'd be highly suspicious of anybody trying to sell a fly for $.54. That's why all mine are a buck and a quarter. :-D :-D :-D

And that's on a sale day. :lol: :lol: :cool: :cool:

Don't lose heart Sundrunk, one of the guys on the first Trout Bum Diaries video was tying in the backseat of a Jeep.

Look for large simple patterns, i think he was tying bunny leeches.

It cant hurt (too bad) to try :)

Good Luck!

I can't even read a magazine in the car let alone tie. If you can manage and have a smooth enough ride, then by all means, go for it.

I'd be throwing up at about the point after i'm finished tying in the tail on most flies.

I once tied a dozen wooly buggers on the way to Erie. Smooth ride in the back of an explorer on a Yeingling box.

Pick an easy pattern. Get some refrigerator magnets for your hooks.

Maurice

Back