tying scissors

lv2nymph

lv2nymph

I've been using Kershaw skeeters at the vise and suddenly they no longer want to cut thread at the tips.The screw gets loose and when you tighten them enough for the blades to run together the are to tight, just does not seem to be any middle ground left with them. Really they are a little short but they work, I keep them in my hand while tying so the finger holes gotta be big enough, they need to be long enough not to poke me between thumb and pointer finger. I don't like any of the ones I can get local so I'm looking to be able to test fit a bunch at Sumerset. What kinds do you find works best for your needs at the vise?

I like my Dr. Slick "Razor" scissors and Anvil stainless mini "Ice" scissors.

I love the anvil curved micro tipped ones for tiny stuff. Got a Dr. Slick 3 pack set for the other stuff. Also keep a knock off Pakistani pair for chopping the wire, Faux fur, etc.

Ive been using a pair of these sixth finger scissors for about 2 years now (the stainless model). The point is fine enough for pretty much anything and they are sharp. I touched up the edge once maybe 5 months ago. I have an older pair of unknown brand scissors that I use to do things like cut deer hair off the hide, but otherwise I use the sixth fingers for everything. The great thing is that they are so comfortable I forget I have them in my hand.
Mike.

I've never seen those before, I like the way they look like they will sit in hand. I'd really like to check them out to see if they'll fit on the ol digit. I've never tied without scissors in hand, some are more comfotable than others for me but even without a perfect fit you can get used to them. It would be fantastic to have a pair that don't feel like you have to "hold" them. Thanks Mike
I have several pairs of Dr. Slick and ice scissors while they are very good my fingers are to fat to fit in the holes comfy. :-( I took a dremel tool to the inside of the pair I use now to get a better fit. Plastic inserts inside the holes.

I like my Dr. Slick "Razor" scissors and Anvil stainless mini "Ice" scissors.

^^^SAME HERE^^^ The Anvil Curved Ice Stainless are my favorite by far. With the the Dr.Slick "Razor" scissors coming in a close second.

I'm making a list of what everyone likes the best so I can check them out, products change all the time and I really have not looked real hard at them lately. Until these broke that is. Thanks

Scissors are by far the thing I am most particular about with bobbins next. I would never buy a pair without having them in my hand first. I would try to get to a well stocked shop and try them out. The pair I used is an old Orvis scissor made in Germany. I have only ever seen one other pair in a shop since I bought my first pair and I bought them also. That was about 15 years ago.

On a side note, it you have a pair that are not working or are dull talk to your barber or wife's hair stylist. They get their scissors professionally sharpened and repaired and if you ask will likely help you out if you cover the expense.

My advise is to invest in one pair of good scissors and dedicate them to cutting only feathers , no hair , no materials like chenille or floss , just feathers , The german made Orvis fine tipped ones , sold inthe certified shops and the catalog are the ones, They are a little expensive but they make up for it. German made is the key it seems , the tips are fine enough and the finger holes are larger than most , you should be able to "test drive" a few pair at Somerset. GOOD LUCK N HAVE FUN

Osprey, I agree with this 100%. I use Ice scissors for cutting materials like feather, thread, etc and an old pair of Tiemco scissors for cutting everything else. And tougher materials that I cut with the Tiemco's I cut at the butt of the blades, not the tip.

I use wiss scissors. Not sure the model, I'll look it up if you're interested. But I have had mine for at least 1 1/2 years, and they are still very sharp. I cut everything, hair, thread, wire, etc.

http://wisstool.com/product/dsp_product_listing.cfm?hier=540&pf=663
Are these what you're talking about gaeronf?

http://wisstool.com/product/dsp_product_detail.cfm?hier=540&pf=663&upc=037103581266

Yes, these are it. Your link had 4 options, these are the exact pair. I admit, they take a little getting used to but they are razor-sharp, no joke. I had dropped them and it hit my foot. I picked it up and kept tying. I felt something warm on my foot and looked down, covered in blood.

See what happens when you tie barefoot. :lol: Alright "G man " thanks.

gaeronf wrote:
http://wisstool.com/product/dsp_product_detail.cfm?hier=540&pf=663&upc=037103581266

Yes, these are it. Your link had 4 options, these are the exact pair. I admit, they take a little getting used to but they are razor-sharp, no joke. I had dropped them and it hit my foot. I picked it up and kept tying. I felt something warm on my foot and looked down, covered in blood.

Gaeron, I read somewhere that the blades on those can be replaced. Is that true? I've seen you and others tie with them and they look like a really good option. Might be a bit bulky at first, but probably not too difficult to get used to.
Mike.

FrequentTyer wrote:
gaeronf wrote:

Gaeron, I read somewhere that the blades on those can be replaced. Is that true? I've seen you and others tie with them and they look like a really good option. Might be a bit bulky at first, but probably not too difficult to get used to.
Mike.

Yes the blades are replacable but I've heard that when you go to replace them the blades don't line up well and then they, to be blunt, suck. I bought 2 pairs when I got mine a year and a half ago, and haven't even touched the second pair.

This is a good sight to see how the sixth finger scissors handle.
http://greencaddis.com/6th-finger-fly-tying-scissors4-5.html.

I have used the black, plastic handle Griffith's for probably 15 years. They cost about 15 dollars. Once they start to dull, I buy a new set and use the old ones for hair, wire, lead, etc. A simple wrap of duct tape around the handle of the old set lets me know which ones to use.

I would estimate about 4000 or so flies out of each set.

There may be more durable options, but as has been said, scissor choice is highly personal.

Has anyone had their scissors professionally sharpened? My girlfriend is a hairdresser and owns several pairs of shears that are upwards of $300 a pair. She routinely has them sharpened by this guy that must travel around to all the salons. I will have to ask her about the price. If its $5 or whatever, it would be worth the price.

I have an older pair of serrated orvis scissors that I like alot, and a pair of razors from dr. slick. I prefer the larger size of the orvis scissors.

pwk5017 wrote:
Has anyone had their scissors professionally sharpened? My girlfriend is a hairdresser and owns several pairs of shears that are upwards of $300 a pair. She routinely has them sharpened by this guy that must travel around to all the salons. I will have to ask her about the price. If its $5 or whatever, it would be worth the price.

Unfortunately, it's probably more than that. The guy that does this at the local salons here charges $15. The local Joanne's Fabrics also has someone that does this for about the same price.

A lot of tying scissors have a serrated edge on one blade. When they get sharpened, you lose the serrations. Anvil (google them) will sharpen their scissors and re-do the serrated edge, but it's hardly worth the cost/effort plus shipping. Unless you're dealing with really expensive non-serrated tying scissors, it's cheaper to just buy another pair, or try sharpening them yourself.

An old tyer's trick that can help get some more life out of your worn scissors is to take an ordinary piece of kitchen aluminum foil, and fold it several times so it's like 4 thicknesses thick. Cut this about a half dozen times or so, and it helps to bring the edge back a bit.

Back