Tying log

F

Flydog

There is a post on the general forum about keeping a fishing log. Does any keep a tying log? I like to tie new or different versions of flies. When I tie something that is new or different I note it in my log, then after I have fished the fly I note the success or lack there of...

Interesting idea, how do you keep this log? pen and paper, excel or some other spreadsheet, web?

you certainly have my attention here

Bob

I like the idea. I keep a ring notebook at my bench. It has all of my patterns written down in it. I also have a box with a lot tagged flies to use as tying examples. Some of my example flies are purchased, some made by me. I keep a separate fishing log that travels with me.

I use a spiral notebook like jerserygeorge. Each page has a list the materials, tying instructions and most of the time a drawing of either the fly or stages of the fly as it is being tied. I also keep a box dedicated for special flies all taged and referenced in the book.
It is interesting to look back at what you tied over the past couple of years.

I have seveal data bases i use..one is the mustad program, another is super fly data...All in all i have close to 30,000 patterns in my collection(books,magazines,printouts and data bases)..I keep adding all the time.....

mustad has software?

and there is software designed specifically for a fly tying log?

wow

I set it up ...it looks like it would be cool...there's lots of stuff already in there but you could spend an awful lot of time filling in blanks.

http://www.fly-2000.net/

Ok, now we're just taking a fun hobby and turning it into work...

I keep a three ring binder with pictures, a description on how to tie the fly and what success I had with the fly.

I keep a memory and an internet connection, as well as a few books.

Then again, I've been criticized for never taking notes in school or at work.

Back