Tying for April Trout Season

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

Ok, this is my 2nd season for tying. Last year I got a fly tying kit for chrismats and tied some basic patterns to get started. Now that I'm a little bit better at tying I'm looking into tying some more specific patterns for the beginning of the season. I want to stock up my fly boxes and am curious to know what flies you like to start out your season with. I got some materials for some black stonefly nymphs, and they're a bit on the difficult side to tie but didn't turn out so bad.
What flies do you tie over the winter to stock up your boxes. Do you stick with your basic patterns: GRHE, Pheasant, attractor dries, etc; or do you try to match early season hatches. Also, what early season hatches do you tie for and what are some good patterns for these.

Thanks in advance

Ryan

You pretty much said it in my oppinion. I tie the basics and some early season flies.

This is also time to tinker with some new patterns and become familiar with them. Or you can create something new.

If you know where you are going to fish you could search for a hatch chart or use the General Chart that has been posted before on here.

http://www.djlflyfishers.org/hatches.htm

For early season stocked trout Tie lots of wolly buggers in Olive, black, brown, frey with and without beads.

Also, green weenies and san juan worms. And Caddis pupae in bright green and cream or white. Put a little dark head on them with some hares ear. I like Latex larvae using a latex glove strip for material.

The above are all for subsurface.

For the top Caddis and adams (for dark mayflies) should do it.#14-16

I like to fish streamers to early season trout when I have the room to cover a lot of water. (uncrowded water) I like Muddlers, mickey finns, black nosed dace, hornbergs, black & Grey ghosts.

From a strictly dry fly point of view:

the first hatch I look to meet is the little BWO in march - these are tied in #18.
Next come the april hatches - blue quill in #18, quill gordon and hendrickson in #14, and grannon caddis - #14.
There is also the green egg sac caddis that I've only seen on the north central freestone streams - Sinnmahoning, Kettle, and Pine creeks.

All these flies hatch in the middle of the day, and have become my favorites to fish

April hatches include but are not limited to, hendricksons, Quill Gordons, Blue Quills, Ornage Crane Flies several species of caddis and little BWO's and other flies. A lot depends on where you will be fishing as to what will be hatching. I always make sure I've got plenty of #14 royal Wulffs too.

I tie a bunch of these with tons of lead for the early stockies.

http://www.danica.com/flytier/eshenk/shenk_white_minnow.htm

Save the ones that survive the early season snags for smallmouth later in the year.

Back