tying equipment

djmyers

djmyers

I was just wondering what specific equipment is recommended for a beginner? Like, type of vise, type/quantity of bobbins, etc. I am trying to keep my eye on ebay and stores for what might be the best thing. So if anyone has any recommendations for a new fly tier that would be great!

I got my equipement not too long ago. I went with a renzetti travelers vice because I wanted something that I could move around with, and possibly even take on a stream with me. It's definitely more expensive than most, so if you think you are strictly going ot tie from one bench at home, its not worth it. However, the fact that it rotates is awesome, and really makes it easier to tie certain patterns.

If you search cabellas website there is a dr. slick tool set for about $40 and has all the tools you will ever need, including good quality scissors.

Don't know if your looking into materials, but make sure you go with a tier when you get them. I went solo the first time, and was pretty intimidated by all the different types of feathers, fur, dubbing, thread, etc.

Cabela's has some good entry level kits.

I believe I started with the basic materials kit as well as the basic tools kit. When I finish school and can afford better, I'm sure it will make a great travel kit.

Take a peep at the Swap Forum, i just put up my stuff for sale/trade.

I have to kind of disagree with Thedude's comment about the Renzetti Traveler. It's a great vise for tying from a bench, and is well worth it if you are willing to spend about $150. It's not more expensive than others of the same quality, actually a good bargain IMO. And don't be fooled by the name, it's not just made for portability.

My first vise was a cheap one that I got with a kit from Cabelas. I got tired of hooks slipping from the jaws while I was tying them, and it was kind of "clunky" the way it operated. So I spent a few bucks for a Traveler, and I love it. Holds any size hook very well, very smooth working, and the rotary makes tying a lot easier. Of course, if that's a lot more than you want to spend, go with a cheaper model and upgrade later if you want. But if you see a Traveler on E-Bay definitely consider it.

Thedude's probably right about the tool set. I don't know what's in the one he recommended, but you will need one bobbin (best with ceramic inserts to prevent breaking the thread), good scissors, hackle pliers, bodkin, whip finisher (I don't use one, but most people do), and hair stacker. That's all I can think of. Oh, and a small needle nose pliers for crimping down the barbs!

The Dr. Slick toolset has everything that Wulff Man mentioned above.

Don't get me wrong, the traveler makes an excellent vise for all situations, weather portable or a stand alone bench vise. However, for a new tier you might not want to invest that much if you've never tied before. I had experience tying before I got my equipment, so I was comfortable with the fact that I wasn't wasting money with the travler.

Heck:

I got by fine for years with a cheap 12 dollar vise I got when I took my first tying class. I tied on it for many years and it worked just fine.

I did treat myself to a Danica Danvise. 80 bucks. Is it a treat to tie on it? Yes. Did I need it ? No. Keep it cheap and simple when you start. I would invest the money on a a couple of good hackle capes before I spent the money on the vise. A rotary vise is a nice thing but I'd go for the quality materials before the vise.

Its kinda like cookin. I have been making great green chili for years. 19 years ago when I was in college I was making it with a swiss army knife and a pot that i purchased at the goodwill and it was great. Now I am cooking it in a god awful expensive pot that my wife purchased. Is the chili any better now? No. I bought good stuff to put in it then and I do the same now.

I just buy way better beer now to drink while I am making the chili
:pint:

I agree with bruno. Spend it on good hackle. The first dry I tied with good hackle was amazing compared to the others i'd been tying. It was a real eye opener. Also, get some cdc. That stuff works wonders.

Don't overlook those whiting 100 packs. They are pre-sized and you'll use it all eventually and not have a $40 piece of leftover when you are done. Cabelas has their own version now for a few dollars less.

For 25 bucks or so Cabelas (and other places) sell a tool kit that comes with a perfectly acceptable vice. I bought this kit for my buddy in Idaho before I moved back here since he would now have to tie his own. It looks like this:

cabelas tool kit

I'd still go out and buy a really good scissors, though.
Other than the hackle..just buy what you need to tie what you want...pretty soon you'll have accumulated enough to need less ingredients as you move along.

What is your definition of a good scissors?

"Every fly tier needs at least one good pair of scissors. They are used to cut delicate materials into the proper shape. Cheap scissors are no bargain and will wear out or dull quickly. You can purchase scissors in different sizes with either straight or curved blades. Most fly tying scissors range in price from $8-$15."

I think mine were 15 or 20..but they were a gift so i'm not sure.

that quote was from a web article...just be sure they are really sharp. The ones that come with a kit may be fine to start...but will dull quickly...use them for cutting deer hair and harder materials later...a good pair will have a fine point and stay sharp. Not a bad thing to buy in a fly shop. Remember you will be trimming individual little hackle fibers and other such materials.

tomgamber wrote:
(quoting an article) "Every fly tier needs at least one good pair of scissors."

Speaking from experience I can say that, although the above is good advice, one can get by with a rather inexpensive pair as well.

Actually I agree with getting a less expensive vise and spending your money on good hackle. Also spending $150 on a vise to start may not be a good idea because you may decide you don't really like tieing that much. I just wanted to give another perspective on Thedudes' comment that " if you think you are strictly going to tie from one bench at home, its not worth it." But start with a less expensive vise and upgrade later if you want.

it is also for that reason that I, unlike many others...prefer the clamp instead of a pedestal base. I have clamped it onto the steering wheel in a pinch...

Tom, I was formulating a smart@$$ response and you nipped it in the bud! But I wouldn't be surprised to see someone doing it on the expressway on the way to work someday.... While looking at a pattern on their Blackberry. :-o

I had to go to Downtown Pgh last week and i bet I could have gotten a half dozen of something tied on the pkwy East as long as it took.

I use the cabela's tool kit and I have no problems with it.

This may just be a variation of what has already been said, but I think the best advice for newbies, for any kind of fly fishing equipment, is to get inexpensive but not "cheap" stuff to start. This means stuff that is in the lower or mid price range and is sold by companies who specialize in fly fishing or at least outdoors sporting goods (as in fly shops or places like Cabelas). Avoid the cheapest stuff you can get at places like Wal-mart. There may be exceptions, depending on what you're buying, but you don't want to get something that falls apart real soon or takes away from the enjoyment of the activity. Then as you get to understand what it's all about and get more experience, you will know better and if you want to spend more money and on what.

Well put, Wulff man.

Also, the help of a knowledgable salesperson is huge. Don't discount their advice. This is why a good fly shop is well worth the mark-up.

Back