Two days in Potter County

R

riser

I unexpectedly had the chance last weekend to fish and decided to spend them entirely in Potter Co (except for YWC which has its source in Potter). I didn't follow my usual M.O. - hiking 2-4 hours upstream then hiking out -- as I developed a bum knee and had to avoid difficult wading, slopes, rocks etc. So I decided it would be fun to hit a lot of streams at easy access points for a short time each, and sample some new streams and stretches.

I fished the following, plus a couple others: South Woods Branch, Freeman Run, First Fork (above Costello), East Fork, Cross Fork Ck, Kettle Ck, Little Kettle Ck, Young Women's Ck Left Br, Allegheny River (below and above Coudersport), West Br Pine Ck, Pine Ck (above Galeton), and Oswayo Ck. I was targeting wild browns and brooks and doing a lot of joyriding.

The weather was spectacular. On Sunday the sun was quite bright and I was still catching them. The water flows were great, and most of the water temps were mid-60s. Really, outstanding conditions for the first two days of August.

I brought to hand probably 20-ish brookies with a high percentage of 8 inchers, 4 browns 7-10" and a couple stockies. Nothing of any size, though I did stick and roll a hefty one on Oswayo. I didn't take many pics because I was waiting for that 14-15 plus incher that never came, so Sun afternoon I took a few pics on one stream. The regulars on this stream will recognize the spot, though I had never fished in that stretch before. I could have caught twice as many if I had stayed on fewer streams and drove less - but then that's not really the point with me.

Saw a few tricos above the riffle in the Allegheny River behind the Westgate Inn, where I stayed, but nothing was rising to them. At 8:30 am the water temp there was 63 deg. Some Yellow Sallies were about on First Fork, Kettle, and YWC. Sporadic caddis were on all stream. The rocks in Pine Creek were full of big dark stonefly shucks, so that's what I tied on there, and they liked it. Overall, few rises were seen, though I did catch a few by searching with a parachute Adams. I mostly used an assortment of attractor nymphs.

The only other place I took a temp was Oswayo at the bridge where Eleven Mile Road joins St Rt 44 -- it was 69 deg at 4:00 pm.

Perfect weekend. This is some of the best flyfishing of the year, but the only location where I saw other fishers was the special reg water on Kettle.

And now the pics. Maybe.

Attachments

• P.1.jpg
    P.1.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 15
  • P.2.jpg
    P.2.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 17
  • P.3.jpg
    P.3.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 18
  • P.6.jpg
    P.6.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 15
A couple more. Sandfly will know this spot.

Again.

Attachments

• P.4.jpg
    P.4.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 24
  • P.7.jpg
    P.7.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 23
nice trip, nice pics. yep have fished that spot. next time call me and I might be able to go.

I didn't miss it! My list says "Allegheny River (below and above Coudersport)." That was my evening spot on Sat night.

I waded wet, just wading shoes that I wore while driving, plus shorts. Kept my rod rigged, so all I needed to do was jump in and out of the car. Also, the streams are grouped somewhat together, and I hit them in logical fashion. South Woods Branch, Freeman Run, and the East Fork are all tribs to the First Fork. Cross Fork Ck and Little Kettle Ck are tribs to Kettle Ck, Wb Pine is trib to upper Pine, etc.

BradFromPotter wrote:
riser wrote:
I didn't miss it! My list says "Allegheny River (below and above Coudersport)." That was my evening spot on Sat night.

My mistake, I was thinking of the other motel across from the hospital.

I thought that too. That's no "run of the Mill" stream back there ;-)

That's a LOT of streams for 2 days.

nice looking pics. i got to spend 4 nights in sinnemahoning state park and fished the first fork and east fork at the same time you were. not much to report other than a few rainbows. first time up there and definitely won't be that last

You don't always have to fish the same stream all day, I've never fished that many in 2 days, but have come close. Sounds like fun.

Back