Twitching your fly

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
Some great advice on how to add movement to your fly when needed to entice trout to hit >

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJLswdf_OQI

Oh yea! This works. Skip and twitch, i have taught this to many for a lot of years. On the Grey Fox hatch. watch out! Move close , get tight and twitch like hell. I like a little longer leader. 10 1/2 ft. or 12.
Made many of just fishermen, to the talk at dinner on this trick!

Little Pine, lower picnic area, top area, is killer. You get close, you can take a oldie, like me, perfect wade, no big rocks and set in motion, A Great Day!
se c
Boy's a young crew wades through brush and debris, the harder to get spots, i take them! The last but always first , old timers, gets it easy and always wants to go back!

Skip to do la my darling! You old bastards, Come with Max, we will talk about it, drink about it, take an hour for an outhouse call. Then pack up---with way too much and go!

Then we get back, talk about it, drink about it and make plan 2, next day. What fun! Steaks done, have a seat! Here is some food my friend made for us. Let's watch a movie and chill.

There is always a 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6. Friend died, but the Maxima12 made friends with 6 other places on the stretch, You know, stopping by, handing out leaders, cooking chicken on firepits along the way. Enough chicken for all the others. Others went fishing, Maxima12 always went looking.

Always found what i looked for------another friend! The End is always a beginning, and a beginning never has a end!

Maxima12

Great tips throughout. I hadn't previously considered keeping slack out of the tippet.

A few he didn't mention:

1) A longer rod works better than a shorter one for this technique.
2) It's easier to twitch fishing downstream than up.
3) If the dry is the top fly in a tandem rig, you can lift the fly completely off the water. The takes can be exciting when you do this.

I highly recommend reading Leonard Wright's Fishing the Dry Fly as a Living Insect for more info about skittering and when to use it.

Yessiree...

On a few Pocono streams I used to fish with regularity during the early season, you couldn't buy a fish on a Little Black Stonefly imitation unless you moved it, and move it a lot as in skating it a foot at a time.

I also tie an "ovipositing" Hendrickson which is a thorax tied/Palmer hackled Hendrickson colored dry fly.

When the Henricksons are coming down to drop their eggs, I stand in a rifflle, hold my rod tip as high as I can and allow the imitation to dance on top of the water as I lift, drop and skate the fly a few inches.

It's stocked water I know, but I've had 90 fish days using these techniques while watching other "dead drift" purists getting skunked.

FWIW - An inscribed copy of Len Wright's book has been in my library since the 1980's.

Back