Turning it Over

Pittflyguy

Pittflyguy

I am a relative novice to tying fresh water flies. I have been tying some wooly buggers but wanted it to ride hook point up. In salt I have always used weighted eyes to do so. I have heard mixed opinions about weighted eyes spooking Carp (which is what I was fishing for).

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to get a bugger or other fly to ride hook point up but still have a natural/match the hatch type of presentation? I tied some with a wing like on a crazy charlie but am wondering if they are going to look at it as "foreign" to what they might normally eat.

Thanks for the help!

Pitt,

I''ve been tying some buggers this week with beadchain eyes, and they look pretty natural for a bugger? Not sure what hatch the bugger represents other than small minnows or stonefly nymphs. Another thing you can try is to fold a piece of lead/tin wire so both halves are the length of the shank and tie it onto the top of the hook, should ride hook up without the heavy eyes. You can also combine this style with a cone/bead head for added weight to get the fly down for "muddin" carp.

JH

I can't think of any way to make them ride hook point up except weighting the opposite side of near the eye of the hook. Bead chain works and doesn't add that much weight.

ffj's suggestion may work but you'll either a straight or down turned eye.

If you decide on using the bead chain approach, look for them at home improvement stores. There are some interesting bronze shades there that might make some nice additions to buggers.

If you bend the hook and strategically place the lead weight the hook will ride off the substrate. EX: if bent down (like a caddis curve) and you tie the weight on the top of the hook near the front of the fly, the fly should turn overa dn ride upside down. If you bend the hook up and use lead at the front the fly should prop up and rest on its head (like a feeding bait fish).

Similar to the set up for the valadi worm.

Tying lead lead wire (or substitute) on the shank of some curved-shanked hooks, such a TMC 2457 scud hooks for example, flips the fly point up. If the hook curves enough above the centerline of the shank, it will flip upside down when weighted. Tie some up and see for yourself.

Thank you all. I had contemplated bending the shank as I have tied many bend back minnow immitations for salt.... wasn't sure if that would make a "funny looking" bugger... I will do some experimenting and see how it goes! Thanks again.

The bend back idea was my first thought when I saw your avatar. I couldn't picture a bugger tied with one though.

Tom, I was thinking the same thing. It just didn't look right in my head, who know's maybe the fish could care less????

I tie some "anchor" flies that end up riding hook up. I use lead (or lead imitation, actually) wire as Afish does. You just wrap it around the hook near the eye, and then tie the fly overtop of it, so the weight never sees the light of day. Does tend to make bulky flies, but for buggers I'm not sure its even noticable.

I was always in the understanding that if you take some lead and lay it on top of the shank (not wrapping it around) and tie in the lead this way that it will flip the hook.

Bend back for soft landings and weedless, lead on top of shank to flip a hook(only need 2 pieces). next bead chain the lead eyes. there ya go 4 sink rates.

Back