Tunkhannock Watershed, Susquehanna County, 12/31

R

rasedlak

Water Temp 38, Air temp similar at 2PM

No insects observed

Flow was full-to-high, could just make out fish in 3 feet of water without polarized lenses in the slower pools.

Decided on one last outing on the 2018-2020 3 year license. Much thanks to JackNiem and Swattie87 for recent posts reminding me it is possible to catch trout outside of the normal season.

Fished an unstocked trib in the Tunkhannock system from 2 until 4:45. It's a freestone stream averaging 12 feet wide or so during these heavier flows. Hooked 5, landed 2 (4" brown, 7" brookie), lost one 12ish which was the largest I saw. All hits of which I'm aware were on various egg pattern (#14) and copper john or hare's ear (#18) tandem rigs. Did a little dredging with wooly buggers with zero action.

I started with 5x, but had three consecutive break offs at the knot of the upper fly. They came with almost no pressure so unless there was a northern pike lurking in the hole I was dealing with some sort of equipment failure. I generally fish 5x and have never had this issue aside from intermittently having a crappy knot fail. There was no twisting at the end of the line as if the knot had slipped, just a very clean break. I was using tippet I purchased yesterday (Rio Suppleflex) pictured below. Anyone run into a similar issue? I'd love any insight that can be offered.

I do very little winter fishing, and was pleased to observe more fish than I generally do in the spring and summer.

Thanks to all the posters on this board. The content is both interesting and inspiring. I will make an effort this year to create content rather than just consume.

Attachments

• DSC02579.JPG
    DSC02579.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 14
Back