Tungsten Putty and other weight

gochs

gochs

Has anyone tried this stuff before?

Tungsten Putty

I've always used split shots, but I'm looking to change it up to something more eco-friendly. Thoughts?

Tungston putty sucks in cold weather you gotta work til is soft.

I have used it quite a bit. I suggest buying it in person and opening the tub and checking it out. Loon's has always been really tacky/sticky and does not perform well in heat. Orvis tung tends to be really hard and not very malleable. Tung Fu is very nice but pretty expensive.
I typically use it to add weight to lead split shot when I want to make a quick on stream modification.

Is it reusable as claimed? if so, I'm sure it would last a while. And I don't realy have to worry about cold weather since I won't be fishing til march or so now

gochs wrote:
Is it reusable as claimed? if so, I'm sure it would last a while. And I don't realy have to worry about cold weather since I won't be fishing til march or so now

Yes.

There are non-lead split shots available as an option. May not sink as quickly as lead but probably fast enough.

PACOFRANSICO wrote:
Tungston putty sucks in cold weather you gotta work til is soft.

It also has a tendency to shatter apart in the cold.

Friend of mine uses Loon tung weight and it is all gooey. It is highly sparklie though and he uses it to slather onto the head of his wooly buggers and it makes a nice sparklie, weight adjustable head on the bugger.

gochs wrote:

Tungsten Putty

I've always used split shots, but I'm looking to change it up to something more eco-friendly. Thoughts?

They make other split-shot besides lead, it's mostly tin based. Thats all there is available in NY state.

wsender wrote:
gochs wrote:

Tungsten Putty

They make other split-shot besides lead, it's mostly tin based. Thats all there is available in NY state.

I know, but the putty looks pretty fun. lol. and tungsten sinks better. so i've heard, never tried it, though

could always fish weighted flies ...... that poses another question pertaining to this does anyone know if they make tungsten tape like the sticky back lead tape used for czech nymphs?

maybe on topic, sort of, but I got some tungston powder that i mix with epoxy for certain ties. adds weight and avoids the flashy bead.
http://www.flyhatch.com/xq/ASP.product/p.PABDKPCFCMEKBNEF/product.htm

i did however find tungsten tape style weights for golf clubs i just wonder how thick or thin it is.....

flipnfly wrote:
could always fish weighted flies ...... that poses another question pertaining to this does anyone know if they make tungsten tape like the sticky back lead tape used for czech nymphs?

Researching I find that there is a tung tape used in golf shops. Over all tung is not very malleable, thin material would tend to break easily. Overall, most Euro tiers are not having good reports on it. Why would you want tung instead of lead for under body weight? Just for the weight without bulk?

I use the tungsten putty almost exclusively anymore. I have the Loon and the Orvis brands. The Orvis seems a bit more malleable in the cold weather. Both work well for me.

They are reuseable and easier to apply when they are warm. If you break off a few small pieces from the big chunk of putty ahead of time it makes it much easier to apply to your line in cold weather. You can just hold a small piece between your fingers and it will soften after a short while. Also, I will keep it in a pocket close to my body to warm it up that way as well if I know I will be using it many times like during steelhead season.

It is heavier than lead so you can use less and it can be molded to a football shape to avoid snags. Why would you even need split shot anymore?

CLSports wrote:
It is heavier than lead so you can use less and it can be molded to a football shape to avoid snags. Why would you even need split shot anymore?

Cost. Availability. Limited product depth. All the negatives mentioned before. There are things you can do with lead that you just can't (right now) with Tung. Tung wire bodies are all but impossible from what I read. Having said that, I use tung beads almost exclusively. Tung coneheads are becoming available at a decent price.

Jdaddy, I am confused. I think we are talking about two different things here . . .

I am simply saying the tungsten putty is a great alternative to lead split shots on your line for nymphing. Or maybe I am confused about the posters initial question.

Tungsten beads and wire is what you are referring to? I use the beads as well. They are awesome too. I never used the wire though.

I don't get your point of limited availability and hard to work with, etc. . . . cost is higher, yes, I agree there.

I initially asked about the Putty, but the thread evolved into a discussion of both the putty and fly-weight options. I believe jdaddy is referring to wire tungsten to add to the FLIES, not the leader.

I use tungsten putty all the time which replaces my use of micro shot. I find it works best to roll it thinly on the tippet (more like a thin worm than a football).

gochs, you are correct, I went with the transition to include tying materials.

Afishinado, I agree, that is every recommendation that I have seen written by a manufacturer.

Back