Tungsten Puddy

pabrookie94

pabrookie94

Do you guys use it? If so, what brand/brands and what do you like about it. I have been looking for some as it seems like a good idea but many reviews are terrible so I am cautious it is a waste. If it is, let me know that's what you think.

None of those non-leaded puttys stay on my line. Twistys or non-lead splitshot for me.

http://reviews.cabelas.com/8815/310876/loon-deep-soft-weight-reviews/reviews.htm?sort=rating

I use this stuff and like it a lot more than split shot. It's easy to add a little or take some off to get to desired depth and sometimes when you get hung up once you give it a yank the putty will come off freeing your flies.

I prefer it to split shot since I can easily reshape and resize it. It works best in warm weather though. When it gets cold it is not very soft. It also does not hold up over the years. It seems to dry out quickly and become worthless. It needs to be fresh and soft.

I think I have the Loon product which was fine. I seem to remember the Orvis putty not being as good.

I use it and think it is worth having. I'm not sure what brand I use as it comes in those clear envelopes that a lot of fly tying stuff sells in at the shops.

For me, the key to using the putty is to use it to augment an already existing shot on the leader. I just put however much I need above where the shot is placed. Or I remove all or part of the putty if that is called for. Putting it above the shot solves the sliding issue and gives me the ability to fine tune how much weight I am using.

I like it..

I use the Orvis tungsten putty at the moment. I liked the Loon better. The Loon seemed to be a tad softer and easier to work with.

I use it over split shot cause I can reshape and resize it super easy.

Agree with CLSports and thebassman, the Loon putty is far superior to the Orvis putty. The Orvis stuff was really hard and really tough to shape and get on your line.

Back