Tulpehocken

wbranch

wbranch

I'm curious to know if anyone has been fishing the Tully since it went down to more normal flows? It was running at 350 cfs yesterday and the weather looks great for tomorrow and I was wondering if the stream has good visibility and if fish are being caught. I'll be there around 9:00 tomorrow driving a metallic green Subaru Outback with a license plate bracket "Catch & Release Wild Trout".

Lots of fish and lots being caught. As far as soliciting a fishing buddy -I think you will be fine finding some one to fish close to tomorrow from what I've seen and the weather forecast...:)

I fished on Sunday notice I said fish, not catch. I personally have struggled fishing the Tully. Water was clear and at one spot adult midges where cruising by. They where very small maybe sz22/24. I didn't see any fish caught but I also tried to stay away from people since I was trying to teach basics to my wife. Wish I didn't have school.

Fished Sunday. Water was up and off color-----clearing somewhat from the deep green color it has been lately. No fish seen, caught or seen caught.

Fished it Saturday with pretty much same results as previous posts. Only saw one other person fly fishing. There was a guy and little boy fishing spinners from shore. I saw no fish caught.

When the creek is rolling and cold getting down is key. When we string minnows on minnow rigs in the bait area we use up to six split shot along an 18 inch heavy leader and fish them much like a streamer, but we use spinning gear.. There is nothing graceful about the ker-plunk, but the weight produces fish in heavy water.

I'll be there around 9:00 tomorrow driving a metallic green Subaru Outback with a license plate bracket "Catch & Release Wild Trout".

Around here, yeah, that really narrows it down....

I'll be the guy in waders. Maybe you'll see me!

Figures,

I was suppose to fish it yesterday and we got delayed with family issues. I can not catch a break when I come up.

Fished with a friend from spillway down to waterworks. We were mostly throwing wooly buggers. Did not move/catch/see any fish until hooking one at waterworks. No risers . Plenty of midges on water and a few stoneflies. Creek is low. Where are the fish?

They've already been utilized. Thank you for your license purchase and better luck next year.

Not yet Krayfish; this is still the C&R season. Remember, it is only harvest that is at the root of all problems with fishing and fish populations (sarcasm intended). I am anxiously waiting for the comment that is undoubtedly soon to appear from someone somewhere, which will blame the apparent tough fishing on poachers.

So, you have creek surveys that indicate thetes no poaching? Interesting. I'll guess that survey also verifies undersized fish aren't harvested AND no anglers keep 2-5 times their limit. If you sell what you're smoking, you could make a lot of money. Hope I didn't let you down with this post.

krayfish2 wrote:
So, you have creek surveys that indicate thetes no poaching? Interesting. I'll guess that survey also verifies undersized fish aren't harvested AND no anglers keep 2-5 times their limit. If you sell what you're smoking, you could make a lot of money. Hope I didn't let you down with this post.

LOL, Andy.

My experience at the Tully, the upper section from the spillway downstream tends to get poached a bit more since harvest is allowed in that upper end to the first deflector (wing dam). Many times I've seen guys hiding in the bushes fishing below the harvest area and the stream is often littered with bait containers (not kidding). The blue herons are the top-line poachers on the Tully.

Also, most of the water between the dam and just above Rebers bridge is rather marginal, especially in the low water conditions now. So, it's no real surprise to me that the poster above didn't have a lot of success in that section.

There are plenty of fish in the Tully right now, so give it a go, Andy. I do recommend you leave your new drift boat dry-docked for now with the low water and wade the Tully. Good luck.

To believe the poaching theory here is what one needs to think occurred: Despite the previous, lengthy high water event and the high stocking rate, there already must have been a couple thousand angling trips comprised of anglers that were representative of the stocked trout angling community as a whole, who normally make one trip per trout harvested in order to deliver substantial harvest.

Tully is the only C&R or DH place I've ever seen with signs everywhere to report poaching. Based on that, I'm assuming it's been a reoccurring issue. +1 for herons being the top poacher on that waterway.

Tom,
Boat isn't even built. Stealthcraft is saying it will reach me in early May......just in time for 3 weeks w/o rain. LOL.

friend caught 6 browns on friday; all on size 20 midges.

I'm not saying they aren't there just that I couldn't catch any. Section from spillway to Waterworks has always been good for us in past yrs. My concern is that the high water event immediately after stocking and before the fish could become acclimated may have moved a lot of the fish downstream. Time will tell

You would hope there would be some communication/coordination between the dam operators and the PAFBC when stocking occurs but apparently not. (We are talking about thousands of dollars worth of trout.) From what I heard within a few minutes of the float stocking the floodgates were opened. Trout usually stay put even in high water but since it happened so fast I am thinking they may all be in the bait area or even in the river.

Stopped by the Tully for a short time today on the way home from work. Didn't even put on the hip boots or waders. I was just rock hopping along the bank and picked up a few brownies bouncing some fur nymphs on the bottom. I caught a couple on a bead head mink nymph and some on an unweighted muskrat nymph - I had a fairly large split shot above both of these flies to make sure they were on the bottom. I saw a fair amount of adult midges in the air. I was glad that I stopped to fish for a bit on an overcast, damp and drizzly afternoon for my first time fishing the Tully this year.

foxtrapper1972 wrote:
You would hope there would be some communication/coordination between the dam operators and the PAFBC when stocking occurs but apparently not. (We are talking about thousands of dollars worth of trout.) From what I heard within a few minutes of the float stocking the floodgates were opened. Trout usually stay put even in high water but since it happened so fast I am thinking they may all be in the bait area or even in the river.

Why would you think that Government Agencies ever talk to each other? They seldom do.

Back