Tulpehocken running out of cool water early?

I’ve switched into kayak spin fishing for Bass in blue marsh and the skook. Really enjoying it but also looking forward to fall fishing the Tully.

Tully is the only tailwater I know that makes the downstream section worse.
Many, many dammed impoundments make the downstream sections worse, by warming the water.

Attachments

• 1688651097179.png
    1688651097179.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
I think Charlie Meck once referred to it as the finest tail water in the East. 😂

You all realize that that section of the Tully was not a trout stream until the Corps constructed the dam? Back in the 80s & 90s the reference as being a "finest tailwater" may have been true. The fishery in those years was much better than today's fishery.

How far down was trout fishing before the dam. I know of guys catching trout in the heat of summer down towards the dam. And Blue Marsh has a number of trout stream tribs.

Blue Marsh gradually got silted in and so there was less depth and less cold water. In the 1980s when I fished tricos there in and July and August the water was freezing cold up by the dam. There was fog every day just like on Upper Delaware. It is, in my opinion still a very fun place to fish until it gets too warm.

Blue Marsh gradually got silted in and so there was less depth and less cold water. In the 1980s when I fished tricos there in and July and August the water was freezing cold up by the dam. There was fog every day just like on Upper Delaware. It is, in my opinion still a very fun place to fish until it gets too warm.
If it was “freezing cold” it was in the early 1980’s when we were trying to figure out how to most effectively manage the water temps with the limited volume of cold water that was available. It was either 1981 or 1982 when we first ran cold water without mixing for as long as we could into the summer. It was cold, but didn’t last very long. Then the next year we had the ACOE mix cold water with near-surface water once the tailrace reached a warmer target temp (might have been a target of 60 or 62 deg…somewhere in that neighborhood). Again, the tailrace was cold, but the cold water was short-lived. Finally, the third year’s try was the charm, such as it was, when we started the mixing process when the tailrace hit 68 degrees at 8 AM three days in a row. That was the best set-up to make cool temps last the longest and not have max temps get exceptionally high, although certainly stressful, during the period when mixing was possible. It’s been run that way ever since. Note, however, that 68 is the start of the stressful temperature zone for RT and BT. We had to put the fish into some stress on almost a daily basis once the first week of June (usually) occurred just to carry the fishery part way through the summer. It remains to be seen if the Cacoosing situation will extend the fishery longer, at least for a kilometer or so downstream from its confluence.

Last edited:
If it was “freezing cold” it was in the early 1980’s when we were trying to figure out how to most effectively manage the water temps with the limited volume of cold water that was available. It was either 1981 or 1982 when we first ran cold water without mixing for as long as we could into the summer. It was cold, but didn’t last very long. Then the next year we had the ACOE mix cold water with near-surface water once the tailrace reached a warmer target temp (might have been a target of 60 or 62 deg…somewhere in that neighborhood). Again, the tailrace was cold, but the cold water was short-lived. Finally, the third year’s try was the charm, such as it was, when we started the mixing process when the tailrace hit 68 degrees at 8 AM three days in a row. That was the best set-up to make cool temps last the longest and not have max temps get exceptionally high, although certainly stressful, during the period when mixing was possible. It’s been run that way ever since. Note, however, that 68 is the start of the stressful temperature zone for RT and BT. We had to put the fish into some stress on almost a daily basis once the first week of June (usually) occurred just to carry the fishery part way through the summer. It remains to be seen ifmthe Cacoosing situation will extend the fishery longer, at least for a kilometer or so downstream from its confluence.
That sounds right regarding time frame. I can remember seeing big heads of rainbows poking up and eating masses of tricos and everything was in a mist. The water seemed very cold but may also have just been in contrast to air temp. That was back when I could not catch them but was an amazing sight. The fishing was very good. I took my boys there in mid 80s a lot and they were already catching trout on caddis and ants and beetles even at the age of 13 and 14.

If it was “freezing cold” it was in the early 1980’s when we were trying to figure out how to most effectively manage the water temps with the limited volume of cold water that was available. It was either 1981 or 1982 when we first ran cold water without mixing for as long as we could into the summer. It was cold, but didn’t last very long. Then the next year we had the ACOE mix cold water with near-surface water once the tailrace reached a warmer target temp (might have been a target of 60 or 62 deg…somewhere in that neighborhood). Again, the tailrace was cold, but the cold water was short-lived. Finally, the third year’s try was the charm, such as it was, when we started the mixing process when the tailrace hit 68 degrees at 8 AM three days in a row. That was the best set-up to make cool temps last the longest and not have max temps get exceptionally high, although certainly stressful, during the period when mixing was possible. It’s been run that way ever since. Note, however, that 68 is the start of the stressful temperature zone for RT and BT. We had to put the fish into some stress on almost a daily basis once the first week of June (usually) occurred just to carry the fishery part way through the summer. It remains to be seen if the Cacoosing situation will extend the fishery longer, at least for a kilometer or so downstream from its confluence.
Hi Mike, It sounds like you have a lot of experience with the Tully. Are you aware of any information available that explains the purpose and timing of the dam releases? I started fishing the Tully a few years ago and am looking to learn as much as I can about the creek.

In a nutshell and in general the releases are pretty much run-of-the-river (inflow=outflow) unless they are trying to lower the lake surface elevation or raise it to the seasonal target values ( 285’ elevation in winter pool, 290’ elevation in summer pool). Obviously, they generally hold water back to go from winter pool to summer pool and release water in fall to go from summer pool to winter pool. Additional releases occur at times in anticipation of storms, lowering the surface elevation and increasing available space (volume) to accept anticipated increased inflow. Likewise, when lake level exceeds the seasonal target value excess water is generally released at some point. Finally, other releases may occur during Delaware R low flow periods to aid in a coordinated effort among reservoirs to add freshwater flow to the Delaware Estuary in order to keep its salt line downstream from the mouth of the Schuylkill.

Last edited:
You all realize that that section of the Tully was not a trout stream until the Corps constructed the dam? Back in the 80s & 90s the reference as being a "finest tailwater" may have been true. The fishery in those years was much better than today's fishery.
I doubt that, there are wild trout way above the dam.
Edit: my bad. I see you said "that section". That is probably true

I doubt that, there are wild trout way above the dam.
Edit: my bad. I see you said "that section". That is probably true
There are limestone trout streams that flow into the lower sections too. Ironically without that dam, it’d probably be similar to the lower reaches of other local trout rivers (large migratory wild and holdover fish and way less pressure) as opposed to the dumping ground for every TCO customer in the southeast part of the state.

Sure you’d probably have to stop fishing it in early June, but at this point it’s not worthwhile after that anyway.

There are limestone trout streams that flow into the lower sections too. Ironically without that dam, it’d probably be similar to the lower reaches of other local trout rivers (large migratory wild and holdover fish and way less pressure) as opposed to the dumping ground for every TCO customer in the southeast part of the state.

Sure you’d probably have to stop fishing it in early June, but at this point it’s not worthwhile after that anyway.
You are probably right.
It isn't my cup of tea as it is so it that happened I would be happy

LOL @ the dumping ground for every TCO customer in the SE part of the state, thats great

Back