tully temps

geebee

geebee

so the air temps plummet and so they up the release of water keeping the water temps high on the stream.

the water temp is higher than the air temp today.

is this as crazy as it seems or are they doing this intentionally for some reason ?

I was going to fish it this weekend before the stocking trucks and crowds arrive, but I think i'll take a walk along the Jersey shore instead for blue,s bass etc

cheers

Mark.

The water released is warm, no matter what the flow is right now.

Check out the 30 day Tully Temps.

^Higher flows have not raised the temps. The Tully water temp has peaked between 75-77* every day for more than a month.

A tail water release can keep the temps cooler than the air temp if the water released is cool, and warmer than the air temps if the water is warmer.

Mark,

They ran out of cold / cool water a long time ago. What you're seeing is very common on Tully, WB, Lehigh and Yough. Many times you'll see releases where the water temp is 65 degrees in the first week of November. If you go 5 miles down river, the temp drops to 58. Go another 5 miles and it's at 49. Nature of the beast on tailwaters. I remember quite a few posts back when the Tully release reached 72 that basically said "well, that river is done until mid October".

I was saying that the higher flows are keeping the water warm.

surely lower air temps reduce the water temps of lower volumes quicker than higher volumes no ?

they are due to stock on the 13th of October.

I did wonder if they were trying to draw down the warm water as much as they could before then ?

It's the Tully, happens all the time.

They have a set winter pool level that they will run the lake down to. Again, very typical on tailwaters

They also have a maximum pool height.

Correct Chaz.....same thing as post #6. Typically, they keep the lake at a level friendly to swimmers and boaters. After Labor Day, they then begin to drop lakes to winter pool levels over a period of time. If we were to have a major rain event, they anticipate the influx of water and sometimes dump additional. Other times, they will let the water hit the lake and then dump. Minimum pool height / maximum pool height for winter. All I know is that I wouldn't want to be the one in charge of the outflow. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Would the state move the date if it was still warm? I'd hate to see trout get dumped into water like that. I wouldn't even think most would make it due to the fact they'll be stressed to begin with getting dumped into new water

They've been in water that warm for quite some time. It's probably got a better chance of mixing in some additional dissolved oxygen due to more turbulence. Nothing new and been going on for decades. Nothing to get too concerned about. Couple of really cool nights will help speed the turnover and get cooler water released. Few weeks away

Back