Tubmill creek and lick run

724flyfishing

724flyfishing

I'm assuming some of you have fished these two creeks. I'm talking about Tubmill above the reservoir. How is it? Im thinkiing about checking them out this weekend. How's the accessibility and parking? Anywhere you'd recommend parking at for the best access? How big are these streams? Just wondering if I'd need waders or could get by with muck boots. I couldn't find much in terms of details of the terrain, parking, etc. I'd hate to spend 2 hours driving around to find property that isn't posted. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

You might want to state what county the creeks in question are in.
I know of two tub mill creeks - and quite a few lick runs

Didn't realize there was more than one. Westmoreland County.

In Westmoreland County, only Tubmill Creek is listed on the Natural Reproduction List

I believe there is a good bit of private land surrounding the creek.

You are right. I was thinking that Lick Run was on that list when I was doing some google maps scouting of the area, but it's a different Lick Run in Somerset County. Well needless to say, I don't think I'll make it out there as planned. Too much going on this time of the year and not enough daylight to burn exploring a potential new stream and driving around looking for places to access. I'll add it to my "check out this summer when I have some free time" list then maybe report back on this thread if it's worth the drive to save others from wasting their time.

Tubmill has a club on it. Almost all streams in that area have natural repo- wether they are on the list or not. Maybe not a lot of fish but they are in there.

I finally was able to speek to someone that had the opportunity to fish it one time with a friend who knew someone that had a camp there. He said it's amazing but unfortunately it's almost entirely posted. One of my only complaints with the trout surveys is they do not say if the streams are on private or public land. Im not saying they should spot burn and tell exactly where to go, but a simple extra column that stated "private", "public", or "private/public" could save people and land owers a lot of grief and wasted time. Thank you all for replies tho.

The Class A listing does have an estimate of public private and further how much of the private portion is considered "open" to fishing.

This is a good reason to find waterways that have some actual public land such as gamelands, preserves or parks, so that you can resort to the public areas if the private sections deny access.

I will pass along what I have from already researching the stream. The headwaters of lick and a trip to tubmill are both located in a thin slice of the SGL42. You can park and legally access here, and fish down until you hit posted signs. That is what I will likely do if I ever make it out that way. I imagine all the larger waters are posted above the resi. Its way down on my list because of access and distance for me. Here is a good bit on info that shows the SGL and some other info. http://www.conemaughvalleyconservancy.org/conservation/pdf/tubmillcreek.pdf

Interesting read. Like the presence of Hellbenders.

I know of at least 3 Lick Runs in the Clinton/Center/Potter counties

Back