Tubes flies for trout!

gribble

gribble

does anyone around here use tube flies on your streams/rivers/ creeks and I'm not reffering to the Erie Tribs!..lol Like Penns, Bald Eagle, Big Pine etc...... What color combos do you like? what length of tube do you like?

Thanks folks! I'm almost tyed up for the trip!

Black and purple has been my favorite and most productive this year, white and chartreuse will usually pick up a few fish as well. I will usually keep the length around 1-3 inches, but you can go bigger if you want ;-)

Bro..lol.. I normally go big so I dont have to go home ..lol.. But I will taek a few pics of my boxes and let you see what I'm up too thanks a million for the input! You tying them on copper tubes or just plain plastic?

Just plain plastic with nickel eyes on most so they swim "true". i like to have the hook point up in the junction tubing, less snags. I fish a sinktip 90% of the time around 250 grains if im devoting the day to swinging/stripping tubes. Haven't really tried the copper tubes yet, how do you like them? I hear they swim like a rock lol

Ok well since I use a switch rod to swing my tubes I use a tips of 2'-10' of T8-T11 depending on the water levels and the stretch of river of creek I'm covering! I like the brass, copper tubes I fish. when you say ride true you need to post a pic if you dont mind the picture I'm going to post is a tube liek the ones I'm talking about with no dumbell eyes! The week I'm up I will have my 11' switch 5wt and with a few other rods 4wt (8') single hander, and a 6wt 9' single hander!

tgribble
[/url][/img]

Are you snugging the hook up into the junction tubing or you tying a loop for it to ride at the end of the fibers?

I do both depending on the length of materials of the fly, if its a hair wing with long fibers that extend past the junction tubing ill use a non slip mono loop and adjust the loop to the length of fly. If the fibers end before the junction tubing then ill snug it up into the junction tubing hook point up. This is one of my favorite things about tube flies...you can always position the hook at the end of the fly. You catch more of the "short strikers" and you can use smaller hooks.

By swimming "true" i mean the weight of the eyes will dictate which way the fly swims. The eyes will flip the fly over just like a normal clouser minnow. I found early on that one of my flies that used a rabbit strip for a wing that it didnt always ride with the wing up and would swim upside down. So i added dumbell eyes and solved the problem.

Sorry i dont have a camera right now i loaned it to my brother, who is at a concert.

Stealth... check your pm's bud!

Back