Tube Jigs

jay348

jay348

I read a report earlier this year and the guys were cleaning up using tube jigs for big SMBs.

Took a stab at a couple last night. Rubber legs and built-in weight under spun craft fur. T-shirt paint to give it the tube-shaped coating.

9459658791_cf0dd7604d.jpg

Nice make sure you give us feedback on how they work.

Nice! I really like the shape that the craft fur gave the fly. I've tied another tub jig pattern that is effective.

Hook: any streamer hook

Thread: any thread match the color to the estaz

Tail: rubber legs

Body/head: Estaz

Eyes: red dumbell eyes

Tie a bunch of rubber legs in as a tail. Keep the tail about the length of the hook shank. Tie in estaz at the tail like you would for a woolly bugger. Tie in eyes just back from the hook eye like you would for a clouser minnow. Wrap the estaz forward creating a body and around the dumbell eyes and up to the hook eye for a head. Tie off and whip finish. Add a dab of head cement for durability. I tie these in white, olive, black, and charteuse most often.

I like those and I bet the bass will too.

These flies look good, and I absolutely love fishing tubes on spinning gear, but I do question this type of fishing tactic/lure effectiveness on fly gear. When I fish tubes, I fish them on really light braid (6-8lb) with a 10-12" flouro leader. Absolutely 0 stretch in that setup. Not to mention a light fast tapered spinning rod. For me atleast, I view tubes as a very subtle presentation. I twitch them, I dont frantically jig them, and the smallie takes are usually subtle. I just dont know if I could fish a tube the same way on my fly rods. I have fast/stiff fly rods, but the tips have flex in them. Then, add in fly line on the water, and bite detection sensitivity is noncomparable to the spinning outfit. Im not hating on the flies at all, just wondering aloud if this presentation method is better left to traditional tackle. Its like tying on a jointed rapala and stripping it in.

I would love to hear how you fish these on your fly rod and how effective they are.

Pwk, in all honesty I have the exact same concerns you stated. As for now it'll probably be a low/slow twitchy retrieve I end up using...could pass for a crayfish? I suppose high sticking or even dropping it under an indi could keep that slack to a minimum, but honestly neither of these techniques sound like much fun (in the context of bass fishing at least).

If I can get out this weekend (and the river isn't blown), I'll give em a swim.

I wonder how they would fish if you lengthen your leader to euro nymphing lengths .

Couldn't tell ya fred...but I'm awful at nymphing as it is, and would probably do it all wrong if I tried. My skills are far from DYNAMIC.

Either way, I'd be glad to save one for you to test out the theory.

(Unrelated) I actually still have those silicones for ya that I tied over the winter...sept is just around the corner.

jay348 wrote:
Couldn't tell ya fred...but I'm awful at nymphing as it is, and would probably do it all wrong if I tried. My skills are far from DYNAMIC.

Either way, I'd be glad to save one for you to test out the theory.

(Unrelated) I actually still have those silicones for ya that I tied over the winter...sept is just around the corner.

Yea we will have to make something happen this sept.

Been fishing the one on the right (Cabin Creek plastic and lead) with a spinning rod for twenty years. That'll work.

If I decide to fish tubes it'll be with a spinning rod. Much easier.

Fredrick wrote:
I wonder how they would fish if you lengthen your leader to euro nymphing lengths .

Here is the best outfit to fish your all mono rig, Fred.

Attachments

• Outfit.jpg
    Outfit.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 4
  • T-Box.jpg
    T-Box.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 4
You've done a fine job of making those tubes, looks just like em. I tie jig & pig style flies and the bass hammer em, I've also copied repalas 6" broken back with balsa wood works great.( single hook ) Go get cha a pig. :)

afishinado wrote:
Fredrick wrote:

Here is the best outfit to fish your all mono rig, Fred.

I already own a snoopy rod it has the name Orvis on it

Back