TU - One Hundred Best Trout Streams

englishprof

englishprof

Yakima, Deschutes, Green, Colorado, Gunnison, Yellowstone, Firehole, Missouri, Madison, Blackfoot, Big Hole, Pere Marquette, Spruce, Spring, Letort and on and on. Lackawanna?????

http://www.tu.org/connect/groups/100-best-trout-streams#

white clay creek,valley creek ?
I gotta go with the mighty Mo. mid sept. until mid Oct.

Not sure you see my point, Pete. The Lackawanna is on the list!!!!!

Fished more than half of them. Alaska, Canada and several in the south east I have not fished. So much water, not enough time.

I wouldn't give that list too much weight. Obviously if you list a 100 streams, you are going to get the good ones...why the Lackawanna has made somewhat of a comeback, I'm with you on wondering how it made the top 100. I wouldn't even put Spruce on there. It has nice wild browns, but the overstocking of pellet heads by the beav and others, does not really qualify a stream as good in my mind.

I also wouldn't put too much stock in their list.
They came out with the same thing about 20 years or so ago.
And had 4-5 streams from PA listed, if I recall correctly. And none of them were what I would have called my favorites

My mother grew up in the 1930's in Olyphant, PA which is right on the Lackawanna. She said at the time it was so polluted that there was not a living thing in it, due to coal mining and industrial pollution. To see it on a list of best 100 is truly remarkable. The Clean Water Act gave a lot of rivers and streams new life.

Similar to New York that listed their top Trout Streams. Blue Ribbon Trout Waters out West. I think we all have our own list of "Top Trout Waters". GG

These "best of" lists are nothing more than lobbying to TU by respective visitors bureaus and tourism offices. For the same reason Harrisburg made the top 25 "Best places to Live" in a recent USA today "survey". The best trout stream in the world is the one you are lucky enough to fish on any given day - from your local UNT to Tierra del Fuego and anywhere in between.

I'm 3/4 though reading 50 places to flyfishing before you die and although some places always sound so good they tend to be to specific and are made fore people to see while traveling or as a destination. I personally would rather hike 5 miles to a small stream in the woods by myself then fish big rivers with crowds but how are they going to sell that tourist destination.

Does anyone in our PAFF community fish the Lackawanna?

yes... :-D

I fish the Lackawanna regularly, and I know others here do as well. That said, I wouldn't recommend it, it's really not any good. ;-)

The best trout stream(s), is and are the one(s) to routinely visit; whether closeby or far away, because they make you feel GOOD.

ponner1us wrote:
I fish the Lackawanna regularly, and I know others here do as well. That said, I wouldn't recommend it, it's really not any good. ;-)

+1 and it does not have stone fly's.

Back