Trude fly pattern

M

maxima12

Here is an old favorite. Zapped thousands of trout. A favorite of mine.

The Trude. popular by Carter H. Harrison, 1903. Thank you Sir!

Maybe, Jerry C. or Nfrechet can post a picture "of the real McCoy!

Now, just imagine this old pattern and the patterns of today. I see, as you would see, copyright violations. Guess Carter just wanted to share! Still tie 100's in lots of patterns. Work great!

Maxima12

trude

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/oldflies/part231.php

The “Joke” that became a success. In 1906 Carter H. Harrison designed the Trade fly pattern at A.S. Trude Ranch.

This down-wing dry fly is said to have been designed as a joke. Mr. Harrison took a piece of red yarn from his cabin rug (for the body), and then he took hair from a red spaniel (wing) and designed the Trude fly pattern. As a result, this “joke” became a great success and began to be published by well known fly tiers. The original Trude did not have a tail, but later designs added a tail using red goose quill or golden pheasant tail. The tail then switched from the hair of the red spaniel to Fox Squirrel tail for the wing. Other patterns today will use calf tail. Though this fly began as a joke, it has become a very popular fly for anglers to tie and to catch fish with.

copyright violation? how?

Thank you, sir!---Nfrechet.

While we are on the T's. How about the Tups!

get on the google machine and do some research

The secret of the "magic dubbing" for tying the Tups Indispensable was a secret for many years. Now can be Googled by any nimrod or googan looking to steal a fly pattern.

Here is the story > https://globalflyfisher.com/patterns/tups-indispensable

And here is video of how to tie it....blasphemy!

One year when we went to the UP, I had good luck with lime trudes which are somewhat of a local/regional favorite up there. But I don't think I've ever caught a trout on them in PA. not even a severely cognitively limited 4" brook trout. Some flies are like that for me. Another is the Mr. Rapidan. The only place I've ever caught a fish on the Mr. Rapidan was, well, on the Rapidan. Nowhere else. Ever.

Probably just me, though..

trude-collage-with-names.jpg

Thank you Nfrechet, In my book, you are on top!

Stimulators are also downwing patterns, but they have hackle the length of the hook, so they float very well.

If you have Stimulators in your fly boxes, do you really need Trudes?

i often tye a trude dry, but fish it wet.
very effective

I've never heard of this fly.....but lots of reasons for that.

So....I'm guessing if I tie it.....I'm a Nimrod??

a very similar,and highly effective fly ,is the pass lake.

Shakey, you are right, Pass lake Fly, seldom heard from unless you are from Michigan. Check out other flies origin from Michigan. Pink Squirrel looks great too! Pass Lake a effective wet fly.

Back