Trout Unlimited's 50th anniversary video

odtfish

odtfish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv45JvkzXWU&NR=1

TU has not yet embraced proper restoration protocol for Mid-Atlantic Piedmont streams. TU does a lot of good, but many members do not understand that "restoration" in the Mid-Atlantic Piedmont is not restoration at all. Current floodplain projects are "improvements" at best. I have no problem with TU continuing to do what they do in the Mid-Atlantic Piedmont; however, I wish they would stop using the word restoration. Native floodplains are much different than what comes about through "restoration" projects in the Piedmont (and other regions as well). Donegal Creek, which was the poster child for Donegal TU, has suffered some serious problems since the "restoration" was done. No one is to blame given the science that existed when the project was done; however, new science has suggest an alternative model for floodplain restoration. The science has only been out for a few years, but TU needs to get on board. When I was a DTU member, I presented the new science and the new protocol. DTU was vaguely involved with a new protocol restoration; however, DTU still struggles to embrace the new science. Regionally (and Nationally), TU still has a lot to learn about small dam removal and floodplain restoration in the Mid-Atlantic Piedmont.

Back