Trout Unlimited Proposes Backing Out of Stream Access Debate

I will not renew my membership if this comes to fruition.
I will place my support in other Associations where Access is an important part of their mission like the Teddy Roosevelt Conservation Partnership www.TRCP.org or other fisherman friendly organizations.
Do you think TU will miss my money? Mite as well support PETTA.
Crb

If part of TU's mission ins't fishing access then what are they good for? Honestly, everything they do comes down to either access, pollution, or restoration. Perhaps TU is simply bending to the pressure of some wealthier and more powerful interests.

I recently read an article in a fishing mag about how there are many local battles happening out west, much like the one described in the link, where wealthy individuals have bought up areas around famous rivers and are now trying to change the laws to keep the public off the property. One republican state legistlator in CO even went so far as to draft legistlation revoking the rights of people to fish along river property there even though the rivers are considered navigatable; luckily it got shot down.
The access issue is going to become more and more important as people like Don Beaver try and setup high priced private operations on famous waters throughout the US. I may be missing something here but frankly this isn't what Teddy Roosevelt would have wanted for his America.

Before everyone over-reacts, the State Council has a new Stream Access Committee of which I am a member. The Council will be taking a proactive role in making streams available for anglers. Exactly what that means is yet to be determined. National is famous for taking stands on issues that are not in touch with reality. Like the situation on the Delaware River, which since they got involved has become much worse. They didn't even ask the state council for input.

the same post is being debated on an other measge board and it drew a lot of good info. it is nice to see the state chapter is going to work on access. i am a tu member for less than a year, not really active because of my work schedule, but will be more involved this year. I believe that stream access is a responsibility of the state. instead of complaining about tu's lack of involvement or canceling your membership, i think sportsmen, wheather it be individuals or groups, should be asking the govermental reps. or fish and boat comm., DCNR, to work on maintaining or gaining more stream access. I think the Little J is a great example of what should be done. thats just my opinion.

John

Just on the face of it and based upon the little I know, I see this as very, very disappointing, if indeed it should become TU policy (my understanding being that it is at this juncture simply a proposal.

I'm not sure that I could support or continue to belong to a TU that is "access neutral". TU is unique in it's multi-tier structure of national presence and grassroots action. A TU that doesn't advocate or stand for access for us non-gentrified peasants who make up the organization's muscle is going to lose us and personally, I don't think it can survive that.

Still, as Chaz sort of notes, there is a history of National going off into the ether without sufficient consideration of the needs and wishes of the peasantry and then when faced with treats of succession and whatnot from strong Councils and the like, they go "Whoops!, Jeez we didn't know how much this mattered to y'all.."

TU's greatest strength, its diversity, is also some times its biggest problem when these occasional canyons of understanding open between the peerage and the peasantry.

I hope it all works out for the best for access. TU has a major role to play, IMO.

And besides, it would be awful if it all went down the tubes and Charles had to go out and get a real job again...:)

I can see how "national" is weary of the stream access battle - particularly in Montana - and how they feel that this battle has become a distraction. From our perspective as Pennsylvanians we need to continue to work at the grassroots level for what we feel is best locally. Like many of you, I happen to think that access issues are part of the equation even if it is not the primary goal. Thinking back over the years I can't ever recall doing a stream bank improvement project that was on public land. Everything I can think of was on private land open to the public. Although the ostensible goal of this work was stream improvement and better trout habitat . . . eveybody knew implicitly that part of the goal was keeping the landowner happy and thus keeping access open. Having been a member of three different chapters over the last two decades I can't remember any member who wasn't a fisherman. I'm sure they were there - but the bottom line is that TU is made up of trout fishermen and access matters to them. It's the elephant in the room and just can't be ignored, esp in a state like PA where the vast majority of trout water is private. We simply must play the access "game" to some degree. Landowner relations have to be handled. Chapters continue to knock on doors and gently inform landowners about options like scenic easements, riparian protection etc. Little gestures like Falling Springs Chapter sending out X-mas cards really can help a lot. Would "national" have us stop doing this sort of thing because it's an "access issue"?

Just a reminder to write your letter if you have not already. TU's National Leadership Council (NLC) is meeting tonight, and we need to let them know how we feel.

Please direct your emails to: cgauvin@tu.org (President of TU)
rteufel@tu.org (Board Chairman)
jwelter@ameritech.net (Secretary of NLC)

I think that access is a local and state issue, thankfully the State Council will be getting to gain access on some streams where access is tenuous, gain new access, and guarentee access for other streams. Without TU in the access debate in PA we'll be in big trouble. I've been nagging the state for years about access, it's about time they got on the horse.

Back