Trout Switch Rod for Suggestion

greenlander

greenlander

Looking to add a switch rod for trout to my options this summer. I like the idea of having a long rod for nymphing big water as well as two hand casting on bigger streams with streamers and others as well.

Loosely wondering if it could double as a single hander for throwing big bass flies on still water (which I'd like to use a single hand 6 or 7 wt for, but I do not have a 6 or 7 wt single hand rod).

Currently looking at two different rods, one is available in a smallest size of 11' 6 wt. The other is available in a 10'6" 4 wt and a 10'8" 5 wt.

The 11 foot rod is decidedly lighter and a bit faster in action than the other rod.

Any opinions on which is best for our region are welcomed.

I'm currently leaning towards the 4wt or the 6 wt.

if you are talking trout stay wit a 4/5 weight for most trout this will be plenty an also for bigger wtaer you will be fine as well.

single hand overhead with a switch rod for any amount of time is not fun
you want a nypmh rod? buy a 10' single hander

I have a few switch rods that I fish as short speys.
The specs of switch rods are quite broad from 10'- 11'3"
also the actions are quite varried from almost no recovery to tight as a buggy whip

If i really wanted to nmyph a switch rod for trout, I'd get the beulah platinum 10' 5wt

The echo is ok
i don't like the redington CPX
I cast an allen at somerset that wasn't bad

My 2 favorites

10'4 6wt beulah platinum switch
great rod, super light

10'6 4/5wt classic switch from beulah
fun little rod... fights fish like a 6wt single hander

Having the right line for your application is key!

i agree with ramcatt, buelah makes a nice rod, i also like echo, IMHO you are going to spend more money for a switch than with a single hander, question you will have to ask yourself is whether or not it is feasible to but a switch because you will use it enough to warrant the cost,,, all other rod companies are going to charge yu some serious bills for a switch.
I use a Trout Spey alot, if it were not for the Delaware and Lehigh Rivers as well as some serious water in NY i would probably not even have bothered. I have plenty of 10' rods and i don't even use them as much as i did unless i am nymphing, for most trout a 5 weight willl be all you will need an you will find that given different actions between differrent lengths will also determine crossover species as well as wind an conditions, Ramcatts point about lines is even more important because most think a floating line is it, but guys who are smitten with two handed techniques be it switch or spey will tell you there isn't any one line that does it all, some guys like skagit while others prefer scandi, some like me use only one line but will add poly leaders to get where i need to be.Its alot to take in but do your homework ask a buddy if he owns one if you could cast his also ask opinions of those in the know about this niche of the flyfishing community.
Remeber that once you have that switch you will also be able to go after shad an smallies as well as Erie steelhead, so its also a multiple application,again do your homework money doesn't grow on trees, but ya can't take it with you either.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

I fish an Echo switch 6wt for smallies sometimes in summer. I would agree that the Beulahs Platinums are a bit nicer. TFO Deer Creeks get good reviews too. I'm setting up the 11'7" 5wt Beulah for trout this year...but its primarily for swinging streamers not nymphing.

The 10'8" Echo SR 5wt should arrive before long. Really looking forward to swinging streamers with it.

get a hold of (khoferer) on here he'll build ya a nice trout switch rod for a good price..

Back