Trout Stream Classifcation

M

Mike_Emanuele

If this topic has already been discussed please send me a link to an old post but I'm looking to hear and find some information on the in's and out's of how the trout stream classification works and if it deals with environmental and zoning laws. I know the A,B,C is based off of biomass but what other factors play into the classifying? Thanks guys

This is one for Mike or another Commission representative to address...

I remember at one time, the classification system worked on a four character identifier for each stream that classified the stream in question based on biomass class from last survey, average stream size or width, setting (rural, suburban, urban) and umm, something else, maybe access (public lands vs. private/mostly open vs. high percentage posted, etc). So, you might have a stream or stream section indentifier like B1U4, where each character represented one of the four factors listed above.

Or something like that.....:) Been a long time..

I believe it is purely biological and has nothing to do with zoning (which would make no sense), management or access based on this line from the "Classification of Wild Trout Streams Proposed Additions and Revisions July 2016":

The listing of a stream section as a wild trout stream is a biological designation that does not determine how it is managed.

Here is a link to a PDF file of a recent Boater & Angler Magazine article with a table that spells out the biomass criteria for all alphabetical designations.

Yeah, the classification of A, B, C or D for wild trout streams is based on the biology of the stream.

While environmental & zoning ordinances don't determine how the stream is classified, the stream's classification will affect the protections it receives. Once classified as a Class A stream, the door opens for it to be bumped up from a simple cold water fishery to a high value stream and ultimately if conditions are met, it could go on to be protected as an Exceptional Value stream which then affords it the highest environmental and conservation protections.

RLeep2 wrote:
This is one for Mike or another Commission representative to address...

I remember at one time, the classification system worked on a four character identifier for each stream that classified the stream in question based on biomass class from last survey, average stream size or width, setting (rural, suburban, urban) and umm, something else, maybe access (public lands vs. private/mostly open vs. high percentage posted, etc). So, you might have a stream or stream section indentifier like B1U4, where each character represented one of the four factors listed above.

Or something like that.....:) Been a long time..

^ I believe you are thinking of classifications for stocking, not biological classifications.

Class General Characteristics
High Yield Mostly Public Owned, High Rec Use Potential, Low Wild Trout Pop
High Yield (Metro) Same as High Yield, Human Pop Density > 300 persons/sq km
Opt Yield 1 Mostly Public Owned, High Rec Use Potential, Good Wild Trout Pop
Opt Yield 2 (Metro) Mix Public & Pvt, Good Rec Use Potential, Pop Density > 300 persons/sq km
Opt Yield 2 (Urban) Opt Yield 2 located in Urban setting
Opt Yield 2 (Suburban) Opt Yield 2 located in Suburban setting
Opt Yield 2 (Rural) Opt Yield 2 located in Rural setting
Opt Yield 2 (Dest
Water)
Opt Yield 2 (Rural) with higher angler use than typical Opt Yield 2 (Rural)
Opt Yield 3 Small Physical size (< 13.2 feet in width)
Low Yield Minimal stocking intensity for various reasons, usually preseason or inseason only
1S Rivers Small Rivers (65.5 to 98.5 feet in width)
1L Rivers Large Rivers (> 98.5 feet)
1L Rivers (Tailwaters) Year-round trout potential
Delayed Harvest Areas Waters in Delayed Harvest Management Program
Catch and Release Waters in Catch and Release Management program

>>^ I believe you are thinking of classifications for stocking, not biological classifications. >>

Well, kinda sorta... The 4 character identifier I talked about includes the biomass class as well as the stocking oriented information you posted. Since the OP already said he understood the ABCDE biomass system, this was the closest I could come to suggesting a more complete classification system that took other factors into consideration as well.

Class A is above 40 KG/HT for browns; above 30 KG/HT for brooks, Class B is 30 to 39 for browns; 20 to 29 for brooks, Class C is 20 to 29 for browns, 10 to 19 for brooks; everything else is class d. I saying this of the top of my head, not knowing for sure unless I get out my other computer. And I don't know the password for it.
Then there are 6 classifications given by DEP according to water quality. They are the really important ones. For those it's better to go to DEP's web site and type in stream classifications. There you will find things like EV, HQCWF, TSF and so on. These all point to the quality of the waterway and protected use. They are basic requirements that commander the realm of EPA regulations and are based on chemistry, macro-invertebrates, types of fishes and other stuff important to meet pollution standards and types of impacts. These parameters deal with degradation all the way down to no life in the stream what so ever.

More stuff to confuse the OP:

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/025/chapter93/s93.3.html

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/025/chapter93/s93.4b.html

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/025/chapter93/s93.4.html

Mike Emanuele, it might help to know why you are asking.

I can tell you that zoning has nothing to do with the wateruse classification system identified in the Chapter 93 of the PA bulletin.

While the presence of wild trout or stocked trout can i flience the upgrade of stream use classification, these upgrades must be recommended to the EQB (environmental quality board) within the PA DEP. The classification of water use categories goes from

WWF warm water fushed
TSF trout stocked fishes
CWF cold water fishes (lowest form of protection)
HQ CWF high Quality cold water fishes
EV CWF Exceptional Value cwf

It is important to note that when a stream makes the wild trout stream list while it is not automatically upgraded on status its wetlands are considered exceptional value right out of the gate.

Back