Trout sized game changers

mike_richardson

mike_richardson

Playing with this pattern this winter. I think that the fly is perfect as is for bass, but am wondering if the hook needs to be further back or some sort of hook at the rear for trout.

I'm going to be testing this out a bit, but I am not gods gift to streamer fishing. The extent is typically 10-12 casts, then giving up and switching to nymphs. LOL

Attachments

• trout changer-BLACK.jpg
    trout changer-BLACK.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 17
  • trout changer.jpg
    trout changer.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 8
mike_richardson wrote:
Playing with this pattern this winter. I think that the fly is perfect as is for bass, but am wondering if the hook needs to be further back or some sort of hook at the rear for trout.

I'm going to be testing this out a bit, but I am not gods gift to streamer fishing. The extent is typically 10-12 casts, then giving up and switching to nymphs. LOL

Hey Mike,

You can use a short shank hook as the rear segment to improve the number of trout hookups.

I guess I would say advise 2 things:

First, I would definitely add a stinger as either the last or penultimate link in the GC. Afish is right about a short shank for this.

Second, I'd size that sucker up a bit. I've not seen a circumstance yet where a 4-5" fly got turned down by a trout over 8". If you're going for the little mountain brookies, I get it, and that makes sense. But if you're just tying one for trout, I'd use generally the same size you'd use for smallies (although maybe just a hair smaller).

Nice Mike . I tie my smaller GC with this chenille https://flymenfishingcompany.com/products/chockletts-game-changer-chenille

Great Looking flies Mike. I've been tying 2" gamechangers for trout as well. Let me know how you make out, as I've not caught a thing on mine (only fished them twice though).

My small game changers have a single hook, but my medium size GC's, 3 inches or so, use a size 10 egg hook as the tail. This makes a nice short, but wide gaped hook for the tail.

Are those lead eyes on yours?

If you aren't catching fish on them, tie them bigger than 2". A trout that's going to have to chase down its food is going to want to get enough energy from it to get a net positive. A 2" baitfish probably doesn't carry much more nutrition than a big stonefly nymph, which can be more easily captured by the trout. I wouldn't throw much smaller than a 4" fly, unless I was fishing water I knew only had tiny fish.

Back