Trout in Antietam Creek, and Allegheny Creek Berks County?

S

Stylie

I am new to fly fishing and new to the area, Someone told me that there are big trout in Antietam Creek, its a short stretch between the Reservoir nd that small town, Freidensberg Rd. Im highly doubtful about this, I think he was a bit confused and talking about the Manatawny.

Next up is Allegheny Creek, its also a small one. I think it starts in the Green Hills area and flows down through Gibraltar at 724 emptying into the skook down there.

That valley right before Gibraltar is gorgeous. Hoping there are fishable areas, very nice looking.

Anyone have info?

Anyway, looking for local streams to this area besides the Tully, looking to branch out, thanks!

Thanks for reading!

The big trout info on Antietam Ck would come from any big ones that are stocked in spring in the lake and stream or ones that are stocked in the lake in Nov or Dec that happen to escape the lake. The creek in that area is warm in summer due to the surface discharge from the lake, so it is unlikely to hold trout more than an occasional one all summer

Likewise, most likely, for the Allegheny stretch that you referenced becsuse of the probable warm discharge from Green Hills Lake, located on the stream near Rt 10. Allegheny is no longer stocked.

Wild brown trout in low densities are present in both streams…
Antietam: Rt 562 down to Rt 422.
Allegheny: Green Hills Lake backwaters upstream to somewhere a mile or so below Alleghenyville. Wild browns with the possibility of an occasional wild brook.

There are a host of decent wild trout streams all over Berks Co, including a number of Class A’s.

Last edited:
Back