Trout and Shrooms, Pa rules

discomidge

discomidge

I went to the coldest creek around these parts and caught some trout last night. Boy did I need that - I'm getting kind of tired of bass. Can't wait for the fall. I also found some red chanterelles streamside so I hit a secret golden chanterelle patch up in the woods on my way back home and holy cow it was popping. Ended up with 3lbs in the bag. This has been by far the best chanterelle season in years. Anyway, Pennsylvania rules.

IMG 8715
IMG 8698

IMG 8688

IMG 8684

PA rules! This post reminded me of Maxima 12 although I can actually understand everything you wrote discomidge. Beautiful photos.

Wow what a treat.

I’ve been going down the random YouTube rabbit hole and watching mushroom foraging videos. I would like to learn how to harvest edible wild mushrooms, but I’m not sure where to begin. As the previous post suggests, all mushrooms are edible, but some are only edible once.

This guys has lots of good videos:

I can only identify a few species with 100% confidence so I stick to those. Chickens, hens, morels, oysters, black trumpets, and chanterelles. They're kind of beginner shrooms as I understand it, but it's plenty to keep my busy.

I took a class put on by the Central PA Mushroom club. You can find them on Facebook. Nice people.

I was gifted bags of chanterelles by a neigbhor. Another neighbor brought a huge hen of the woods as a hostess gift!

While fishing a local stream, I came across a woman on the trail who had been foraging mushrooms in the state park. She was loaded with a basket full of chanterelles and chicken of the woods mushrooms. But she was adamant that I not tell anyone else where she found them. She was more protective of her source than any fishing hole I’ve ever come across.

I’ve been going down the random YouTube rabbit hole and watching mushroom foraging videos. I would like to learn how to harvest edible wild mushrooms, but I’m not sure where to begin. As the previous post suggests, all mushrooms are edible, but some are only edible once.
What you have to do …. And this is 100% required …. Is take a class with a trained experienced mushroom forager in your area. These folks are in your area and provide these classes. Make sure they have both class time … and actual time in the woods where you will be seeing and selecting the safe mushrooms in your area. My wife and I took a class from a man in Pisgah National Forest … and he was excellent.

foraging has added a wonderful element to our daily hikes. We stick with only the species we are 100% positive of. We use our training, a identification app and time honored books to positively identify. our season goes like this …
Ramps in early spring, then golden oysters, chicken of the woods, chanterelles, more COW, Maitake ( hen of the woods ), then Lions Mane … and lastly winter oysters. All of these are absolutely delicious.

But you need to start with instruction from a experienced pro.

What you have to do …. And this is 100% required …. Is take a class with a trained experienced mushroom forager in your area. These folks are in your area and provide these classes. Make sure they have both class time … and actual time in the woods where you will be seeing and selecting the safe mushrooms in your area. My wife and I took a class from a man in Pisgah National Forest … and he was excellent.

foraging has added a wonderful element to our daily hikes. We stick with only the species we are 100% positive of. We use our training, a identification app and time honored books to positively identify. our season goes like this …
Ramps in early spring, then golden oysters, chicken of the woods, chanterelles, more COW, Maitake ( hen of the woods ), then Lions Mane … and lastly winter oysters. All of these are absolutely delicious. Fror

But you need to start with instruction from a experienced pro.
Great advice. I was fortunate enough to work with a guy who was an expert. Not only did he lead foraging classes, he was the guy who the state called when there was a suspected mushroom poisoning. I never attended one of his classes, but he was more than happy to help me identify various mushrooms. It amazed me how he knew all the Latin names. Kind of like a couple old timers on here when it comes to bugs

That said, there are only a handful of mushrooms that I was willing to consume. Morels of course. Very easy to identify, and my favorite. Hen of the woods. Good in beef stew. Chicken of the woods. Very good all by themselves. Giant puffball mushrooms. Not a lot of flavor and soft text texture. Meadow mushrooms. Same as store bought white caps, but not as thick. Think wild versus stocked.;) Oyster mushrooms. Not a big fan, which sucks because I have tons of them. There are a few more where I was 99% sure of their identity, but I decided not to try them.

I did quite a bit mushroom hunting in Montana, much of which was with my best friend and fishing partner, who was familiar with the mushrooms that were common around where we spent the summer just north of Yellowstone Park, and I relied on his knowledge whenever there was a question.

One of mushrooms that we found in abundance were the king boletes, or porcini mushrooms. You have to be careful in identifying them, however, since there are several types of boletes, some of which are edible and some of which are poisonous.

I found this on WebMD about the nutritional value of boletes, and found it interesting. I’m guessing that other types of mushrooms are comparably healthful:

What Is Bolete Mushroom Nutrition?​

Bolete mushrooms are packed with nutrients. They are rich in dietary fiberand low in fat. For example, a 100-gram portion of fresh B. edulis or porcini mushroom contains:

• 81.8 calories
  • 1.7 grams of fat
  • 7.39 grams of protein
  • 9.23 grams of carbohydrates
  • 7.39 milligrams of iron
  • 11.95 milligrams of calcium
It also contains vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B9, C, and E as well as antioxidants like beta carotene, lycopene, and other flavonoids.

It is rich in minerals like iron, calcium, magnesium, copper, phosphorus, potassium, zinc, and selenium.

What Are Bolete Mushroom Health Benefits?​

Bolete mushroom health benefits include:

Antioxidant effects. Bolete mushrooms have high levels of polyphenols or flavonoids like lycopene, beta carotene, and tocopherol or vitamin E. These antioxidant compounds help destroy harmful free radicals, which are reactive molecules that damage your cells and increase your risk of developing chronic illnesses. Antioxidants in bolete mushrooms help prevent free radical damage and protect your body from diseases.

Potential anticancer effects. Research shows that B. edulis extracts can reduce the growth of human breast cancer cells. The antioxidant effects of bolete mushrooms help protect cells from becoming cancerous and prevent cancer from growing.

Constipation prevention. Bolete mushrooms have high fiber content. Eating bolete mushrooms can help keep your gut healthy and prevent constipation.

Liver protection. With antioxidant properties, bolete mushrooms have anti-inflammatory properties that protect your liver against damage and disease. A study in mice with alcohol-induced liver damage shows that the mushroom B. cereus has liver-protecting effects. The antioxidants in the bolete mushroom protect liver cells from oxidative damage. The mushroom reduces the levels of inflammatory molecules and prevents inflammation in liver cells.

Antimicrobial activity. Bolete mushrooms have various bioactive compounds that show antibacterial and antiviral properties. Phenolic compounds like homogentisic acid, gallic acid, p-catechin, and others present in bolete mushrooms show antimicrobial effects. Bolete mushrooms can help prevent wound infection by drug-resistant bacteria.

Blood pressure control. The low sodium and high potassium content of bolete mushrooms are ideal for controlling blood pressure and preventing heart problems. Also, boletes are rich in fiber and antioxidants, which help prevent inflammation and keep your heart healthy.

Back