Trolling motor on a drift boat

M

MBJRL

Anyone have a drift boat with a bow mount trolling motor on it?
I need help !

Are the oars broken?

What kinda of intel are you looking for? I have a 50# thrust minn kota on a 16' clack. it moves the boat along pretty well. the battery will last for a few days with intermittent use before it gets low. deep cycle marine battery

Are the oars broken?

No, but my back will be if I don't get a motor..............

I'm thinking about a 12/24 volt system 85-105 range
I want to hold on a spot in strong flow with a foot control bow mount.

I will be fishing alone most of the time and don't want to anchor.

How the heck can I mount it in the front without drilling a ton of holes.

Do I need the 60" or can I get away with a 54"

Nothing to add to help you, but I loved this joke:

Are the oars broken?

No, but my back will be if I don't get a motor..............

just my .02 but i would not rely on a trolling motor to hold you in strong flows - if something goes wrong....

the olde way to do what it sounds like you are trying to do is use two anchors.

drop one in from the stern with a float on a long chain. row or pull back up taking in the slack chain, tye off then drop another off the bow.

the bow one you leave loose, otherwise a rogue side current could spin the boat over.

i've seen it done a few times on both rivers and tides - what you are trying to do on your own requires practice, skill, experience and a bit of luck.

its pretty dangerous imho - is it really worth it for a fish ?

i'd either fish with a buddy, or invest in a jet boat/sled.

To the OP, please send me vid of that set up in action. Sounds like a disaster wiating to happen

I had a jet and several other Bass boats.
I am looking to set up my drift boat the same way.Bow mount foot controlled trolling motor heading upstream holding with the flow.

krayfish2, Can you row a boat !

I know what your trying to accomplish...but I think it's pretty tough given the design of the boats. Not impossible, but you would have to modify the bow a ton to get it to work right. I have a Koffler RMT w a trolling motor on the back, and can hold a little w it, but it's pretty futile after a bit. Unfortunately, these are not bass boat or john's...but then again, their not drift boats either. Both crafts have their advantages and of course...disadvantages. You would have to create a base/bracket to mount to the hull so you can mount the motor to it. So I think the "holes" you don't want to drill are unavoidable. One thing I've noticed as well, if it's not mounted solid and you hit some rocks w it, it twists off the mount.

I usually move above and to the side of the areas I want to work and anchor...then let the flow spin me downstream. Not perfect but works pretty good.

The bow anchor would be the best solution. However I would be careful as others have said. Don't think you'll have many worries with the flows were seeing now and if your just smart about it.

BTW...the stern motor I use saves me a ton on rowing. Minn Kota 30lbs thrust on a 14'....works but could use some more power. In fact I haven't used the oars in a long time. Usually put in and travel upriver...float down and repeat as necessary. Been using a single launch for a while and it's been nice not to have to pick up the truck and trailer as well.

However, I'm starting to miss the scenery of a long drift/float. Nothing better IMO.

Hope this helps.

It's extremely difficult to "hold" in the current with a bow mounted trolling motor. It requires constant adjustment and fiddling with the motor to the point where "holding" in the current and fishing becomes a royal PIA.

Anchor. It's simpler, lighter, cheaper, and a far better way to hold in the current.

MBJRL,
I'm not an Olympic rowing team member but I can row. I hear what you're looking to do and I'm not sure it will work like you are hoping it will. In swift moving water, I'd expect you'd want to have a few extra motor shafts as they will get broken once the current overpowers the motor.

I hadn't seen a motor on a driftboat until a few years ago. These guys launched in a big flat pool and would motor upstream to the head of the pool, float back to tailout and then repeat. That was 4-5 years ago. What I've started to see this year is guides with trolling motors. They have all been stern mount slightly offset from the anchor arm. I've only seen them used to race through the slow water pools and cut you off as you enter the tailout. I refer to them as battery powered d-bags. Motor on driftboat is like mounting oarlocks on a Skeeter bass boat.....just ain't right but I'm pretty old school.

IMHO, anchoring is your best option since you don't have someone else along yanking on the oars to hold the boat in position. What are you fishing for and where are you doing it? Some places you only get to pull a fly by as current and depth may prohibit stopping. And yes, those are almost always big fish holding spots.

Poopdeck,
Price a few driftboat anchors. Not cheap. I've seen them $125-$200. If you get hung and have to cut the line twice a year, it adds up. In 10+ years, haven't had to cut the anchor line but I've lent a knife to another guy so he could cut the line.

Very tactful response Andy

For what drifters are trying to do with this motor method, I'd prolly just go with a flat bottom boat with oar mounts and a rear mounted anchor and motor over hacking up a hard bottom drift boat. Otherwise, it would definitely be easier to mount a trolling motor on a pontoon style drift boat.

Good luck.

I have never priced a drift boat anchor nor would I ever buy one at those prices. I did not even know there are specific anchors for drift boats. They must be made by Orvis at that price. In fact I have never priced or purchased any anchor for the river yet I have been boating the river for 30 years. I have priced bow mount trolling motors and they are four or five times the price of one of those drift boat anchors. A battery for the motor would cost more then the anchor as well.

Is there a reason a standard river anchor that can be made for free or for under 20 bucks would not work on a drift boat?

Funny you bring this up about anchor prices.I got to thinking I have owned 6 boats in 30 years an NEVER spent a dime on an anchor.Growing up on the river it seems like everywhere you looked you could find one.
It was like that with drums and cable for docks everyone had them even if they didn't have a boat

Just for fun I have some numbers for ya
This is not what I am spending but you could if you wanted

12/24 volt Motorguide bow mount trolling motor. $1500.00
Optima marine battery...............$292each...............$594.00
Hyde drift boat anchor..…............30 pound..............$124.00
Oars for a drift boat….....................….........................$800.00
You can buy a dang nice used Hyde for that kind on money

Norm,
Good to know that I haven't lost my touch. LOL

Poopdeck,,
Yep, they make specific anchors for driftboats. Drop a 20 lb mushroom anchor and your boat won't even think of slowing down let alone stopping it. Anchors are typically spiked cylinders or pyramids that weigh 30-45 lbs. Are they overpriced? Of course they are but unless you have a welder and I pile of metal stock, you gotta pay their price.

MBJRL,
Someone should be shot for pricing oars like that....agree? That $800 you listed it typically just the shafts. Add in more for blades, rope wraps and oar stops. It's legal robbery. LOL.

What are you using the boat for or where are you using it?

What? Not everybody owns a welder? Steel has got to be the most the most abundant recylable material out there.

Your right about the mushroom anchors and you can include the danford's in there as well. A length of steel, a length of chain and some rebar (and a welder) is all that is needed. I also have a heavy spiked anchor all made for free.

Maybe I should make and sell these to the drifters since they seem to have lots of cash burning holes in their Simms pockets.

I will be fishing the Pere Marquette in Mich some but most of the time will be the river from Oil City, Franklin, Parker to East Brady
Going to Parker Monday AM

I don't know where you plan on using a drift boat, but for the Delaware you don't need one, my buddy had one and it is back breaking work to fish the Delaware with one.
A friend who many of you know, has jet motors on rafts and he's been guiding on the river since the 70's. On holing in current, it's easy to hold using anchors or an anchor, you have to pick and choose where you anchor wisely though. What we always did was pull over and wade where the runs and riffles are, yes there are places you can't wade to, but they aren't that many.
As to faster rivers, you still mostly get out and wade anyway, because it's dangerous to anchor in current with a drift boat.

Back