Trico Pattern

troutbum1964

troutbum1964

Looking for a good Trico pattern! Can any one help!

My favorite is in here.

Thank You that was a big help!

Pick up a copy of "tying small flies" by ed engle for almost any variation of trico that you can think of.

Heritage-Angler wrote:
My favorite is in here.

Who makes the thread you use in the pattern?

franklin wrote:

The thread is Gordon Griffith's 14/0. The spool has a sticker on it that says "Sheer" on it. It is made in the U.K.

Griffith's 14/0

I thought so but they didn't list pale yellow in any of my catalogs. Probably their Primrose? I ordered a spool from J Stockard. Have to tie some up and give them a try.

I haven't fished the LL since back in April but have fished the Tricos there the last few years. I find that the standard poly wing pattern works about a week or two then the fish seem to get educated and don't give them a second glance. I also tie a CDC winged pattern which goes a bit longer into the season. Have to get out and give yours a try. Thanks.

Heritage-Angler wrote:
franklin wrote:

The thread is Gordon Griffith's 14/0. The spool has a sticker on it that says "Sheer" on it. It is made in the U.K.

Griffith's 14/0

This stuff you were talking about at the Sporting Lifestyle?

I bought a spool on HA's recommendation.

I like it.

Any one else notice the females thorax has a hint of mahogony brown too it? I just saw this tonight in Mike Heck's book and added some to my black beaver dubbing. Gives it a pretty nice look hope the fish like it this weekend on H.A.'s pattern of course!

gfen wrote:
This stuff you were talking about at the Sporting Lifestyle?

Yup - good stuff. Steve Sywensky from Flyfishers Paradise got me hooked on that thread many moons ago. While I like Uni thread for it's many colors, better quality spools, and labels that actually stay put, I don't like their thread as much as Danville 6/0, Bennechi 12/0, and Griffith's 14/0. The Uni stuff is "bonded", which gives it a rounded "rope like" shape. I prefer thread that ties "flat".

Griffith's 14/0 is my favorite, and is as strong as Uni 8/0. Flyfishers paradise sells it for $2.25 per spool - I use it for anything smaller than a size 16 hook.

Here's a great article that has lots of good info on tying thread:

Thread Article

littlelehigh wrote:
Any one else notice the females thorax has a hint of mahogony brown too it? I just saw this tonight in Mike Heck's book and added some to my black beaver dubbing. Gives it a pretty nice look hope the fish like it this weekend on H.A.'s pattern of course!

This is cool. Changing a pattern and making it your own is one of the things I like best about tying flies. Judging from your past work, I'll be trying to mooch flies from you. :-D

I forgot to bring that size 24 Whiting saddle hackle feather for you to the Summit. I have a box of 100 hooks for you as well.

franklin brings up a point that I've also found to be true. Keeping the wings sparse, and sometimes clipping them shorter seems to extend the effectiveness of the pattern once the fish get really picky. The most important feature of any Trico spinner pattern, IMHO, is dubbing a REALLY fat, oversized thorax. It's way out of proportion compared to other mayfly spinners.

Keeping the primary triggers (in order of importance to the fish) of size, shape, and color in mind becomes more important as the fish get used to seeing this hatch over time. You can get away with a size 22 Trico early in the season, but later on, using the wrong size fly makes fishing into casting practice. Yeah, you'll still catch the occasional fish, but fish hit strike indicators and cigarette butts too. Lots of folks that wouldn't think about using a size 8 sulphur pattern feel it's fine to use the wrong size Trico, just because the fly is so tiny to the fisherman. A fish that has seen thousands of Tricos floating by can tell the difference. They're not "smart' - it's just a conditioned response.

Stalcup has a synthetic dubbing for Trico thoraxes that has some brown fibers mixed in. It's actually called trico. I've used Griffiths but only in black. I ordered the full set. It's about the only thread I don't currently have.

BTW, ever tried to use white and color it light olive or pale yellow with a marker? Just taking you female/male conversion one more step.

A couple of us in Bucks TU are going to start up our informal tying meets again in Sept. Held the third Thursday of each month at Mainline Fly Shop on 611 north of Doylestown. If you come LouM will show you how he ties woven stoneflys. He really is the master.

Back