Trico Emergers

P

pmelle

Had a nice little morning on the Little Lehigh this morning (despite the rain) and caught a nice handful of trout. Early around 7, they were all top feeding and I assumed that it was tricos coming off, emergers, that they were feeding on, this activity lasted around 45 minutes or so. I ended up taking one of my tricos and trimming down the wings and it seemed to work early. I saw them throughout the day in small swarms. Am i correct? Assuming I am, any good trico emerger patterns out there?

Al's rat, thread on a hook.

I'm 99.9% sure trico's emerge at night. Could have been an odd moment, but I doubt it, especially since you said you saw swarms later. Trico spinners.

Males hatch at night females in the am or it could be the other way, I am getting old can't remember for sure.

I've seen trico duns hatching at 7 am quite often.
And, since the OP stated that it was raining - I kinda doubt that the spinners had fallen already under that condition.
I would guess that the fish were on either duns, or emergers.

Black sz 22-24 RS2.

Mole fly...Tiemco 2488 size 24 black thread body, white cdc wing

Al' rat for the LL in the summer, really no mystery, fish it in the film it's a midge ( trico included) larvae. Google it if you don't know it.

Agreed with all above.

Al's rat works well without a doubt.

Also a thread body with CDC wing fly which is pretty much a WD 40.

pmelle wrote:
Had a nice little morning on the Little Lehigh this morning (despite the rain) and caught a nice handful of trout. Early around 7, they were all top feeding and I assumed that it was tricos coming off, emergers, that they were feeding on, this activity lasted around 45 minutes or so. I ended up taking one of my tricos and trimming down the wings and it seemed to work early. I saw them throughout the day in small swarms. Am i correct? Assuming I am, any good trico emerger patterns out there?
We're now in the time period for tricos, so yes they could have been tricos. Females in the morning, males late evening through the night this time of the year. The hatches progress through the season and the males get later and later so that both eventually be hatching during the day.
On the LL they are so prolific that they hatch into November, with the latest date I've seen them hatching, Dec 1.

Back