Traveling tying kit

Fredrick

Fredrick

I know this has been discussed before but I'm looking at buying one with my refund check and want to buy one that is made for tying materials so I need some feedback on what to buy so far I'm torn between the Orvis safe passage one and the Fishpond one. I tie a lot flies when I go one trips so I need a lot of storage also .

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=75PG

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dsporting&field-keywords=+Fishpond+Coyote+Fly+Tying+Kit+Bag+%09+Fishpond+Coyote+Fly+Tying+Kit+Bag+by+&x=10&y=27

Fred, those are overpriced laptop cases.

http://www.overstock.com/Luggage-Bags/Laptop-Cases/3095/cat.html

Fred-

I had my daughter purchase the Orvis for me last year for X-Mas. I did not like it at all and promptly returned it. The Orvis was kind of large, but thin. I did not like the size. I also did not like the storage pockets for material. It is a year ago so I don't recall everything that I did not like, but I was quite disappointed. (Not the only disappointing Orvis purchase lately)

The Fishpond however is excellent. Pockets for materials, places for tools, tubes for thread, plastic box for hooks, velco in place zip locks for material. Fishpond really nailed their bag, it was made by fisherman and fly tyers. You will not be disappointed.

JF

Edit - mine is the road trip

I have the Fishpond Coyote bag also. You cant beat it IMHO.

I travel for a living and sometimes sit a lot in hotels, I take this bag often and its perfect.

It has a huge amount of space and organizes tying materials perfectly. The quality is top notch.

The downside is that its not cheap, and depending on your travel needs you may not need something as sturdy, etc...but if you are lucky enough to have the extra bucks to spend on it you wont be disappointed.

Deals can be found surfing ebay, I think mine was $139.

I purchased mine for hotel stays also. Normally when I am fishing I do not have time to tie. JG

I'm with Tom. Seems like a glorified computer bag. As long as you get a laptop bag without an apple logo, you should save about 75% compared to buying something fly fishing specific.

I received the fishpond Coyote...it is nice...way over priced...and I still feel like I never have what I need when I travel...but that is just me...

The tubes and material keeping packets are good. Overall, I am very pleased with it...It has the hard case on the outside as opposed to the soft material sides....

Here is a hint...they really don't like it when you try to bring your scissors through airport security either...forgot about that one once...

Boss

Regarding Scissors: Tools under 7" are allowed. My scissors are about 4". When in doubt, put them in checked baggage.

I know there are many ways to skin a cat (make a nice fly tying travel kit). When I want to seriously tie, I have a large rubbermaid tub. I bring lots of stuff.

When I am traveling and have alot of hotel time, that is when my Fishpond bag goes. Check one out next time you are in a fly shop. They are way more than a glorified computer bag. They are smaller, mine measures 12x10, and there are pockets, pouches, zippers, for tools, supplies, a box for hooks and beads, zip locked bags. And the construction on all of the fishpond stuff is very fine. I think my bag is $89 bucks on that Amazon link. Not cheap, but not overpriced. I am very happy with mine.

agreed - I have the Fishpond Road Trip tying Bag and I can't complain at all. It is smaller and cheaper than the Coyote and holds a ton of stuff in an organized manner. You could never pull it off in an organized way with a laptop bag..

Right now I've been using a duffle bag for materails..When Ever I camp I use dual mantel lanterns, as many as you like would be fine, plus they give off a little heat, which is nice...Head lamps are ideal too, always focus on where you're looking..

Def not a laptop computer bag....the thing really is well thought out and is perfect for organization. I like the hard side as it protects everything well if you are a hard core traveler. I also cannot imagine ever wearing it out.

Of course, you could just toss everything in a $5 duffel bag. We all know that...

Cabelas has one (it looks small) but it's $40. It's in teh new fly fishing product section.

I still don't think you can beat a travel bathroom bag for $10 at walmart; especially for how often most people will use it.

Thanks for the feedback guys (even from the glorified laptop case people). I haven't decided yet but don't want to get one that I have to put time and more money into to make it organized . I'm leaning towards this one Tomahawk travel kit It looks like it will meet my storage needs but I'm not happy about the price .

That looks like the new version of the hard sided bag (Coyote?)

I really like the hard sided one as it's incredibly sturdy for travel. No idea why they would have changed that (saving money?)

That price is high also, have you checked around ebay?

I think mine was $129.

Good luck!

I think they changed it because it will expand when you want to stuff it with materials

Back