travel tying kit

flipnfly

flipnfly

ok this is for you guys who tie on stream or at camp what kind of materials do you keep in your travel tying kits and what do you keep your kits in? all ideas and pics are welcome

I pack a tying kit for our Salmon trips to NY. I just use a big plastic tackle box and shove as many materials in it as will fit. Usually we'll sit around the room at night and take turns tying as we consume some beverages.

I have some friends that put their stuff in a tackle box. I use a rubbermaid container.

I use a 3 ring 3in zipper binder and various inserts for it. The vice will break down and fit in one of the pouches on the inside. I keep most of my materials in these pouches and when i go some where I put want I want in the binder and go. The inserts are clear so you can where everything is. Fits under the car seat.

I have a meade binder that cost me ten bucks and the inserts are 1 to 3 dollars.

A guy at a fly shop gave me the idea - I was eyeing up a 90 dollar softsided travel kit. He showed me his binders. Funny how some flyshop employees will steer you away from the products they are supposed to be selling.

Cheap rubbermaid locking container - can fit everything in it - works great.

My tools and threads go into an old sylvania tube repair box and the fur and feathers I keep in a huge- 3 foot - ziplock bag.

ok on the materials do you take a lil bit of everyhting you have? or just what you think you might need depending on the hatches in the area and or baitfish.....

im the disorganized mess who just takes EVERYTHING in a tackle box and sorts it out later, every time thinking "i should do it differently" and every time doing it the same way :D

well that would depend on how much junk you have . just what you need - go to stuff.

I built what I call my portable tying station. It is 12" wide by 10" high and 18" long. It has 5 drawers and some open storage space. the top folds up and the front folds down to provide a work space and to clamp the vice to. I keep it stocked with small amounts of most of my materials and repletish them at home as needed. I even use this as my place to tie at home most of the time. If I knew how to post a picture i would do so. If anyone wants to know what it looks like send me your email address. Iwill send you a picture.

I have a soft-sided cosmetic bag, it has a dozen compartments or more. It's large enough to hold all of my tools and vise. It also has a handful of zippered compartments, which is nice to keep things from sliding around in trasit.

I usually carry dubbing, hooks, feathers, and any other materials for flies I plan on tying.

I get a plastic shopping bag and raid my tying bins. I tie it off and toss it in my bag with a ziplock that contains my tools and vise.

Fishoncamp's description of his pulaski tying sound just like mine. Tie til you're cross eyed then go to bed.

Depends on the trip. April I might bring dun capes, brown, drkdun, bunch of fur specific for the trp..Green drake time the same..I try and bring only what I think I'll nned for the bugs in season

ok

jrcll wrote:
ok

Thanks for your insight Jim!! lol

I haven't tied anywhere except my house. Thought about it, but never go on long trips to make it worth my time. I have thought of just using an old book bag with a bunch of compartments and just using that specifically for tying materials. Easy to carry and can separate materials in each pocket. Just a thought though.

I jam as much as I think I'll need into an old shaving kit. Can barely get the zipper closed. Had it forever.

Here is a picture of the portable tying station I discribed earlier in this thread.

Attachments

• phpmjB2PmPM.jpg
    phpmjB2PmPM.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 3
That's a nice box pap-paw! I use a rubbermaid-ish box but have been thinking of building something like that. As with most of my woodworking, I'll start working on plans and use the rubbermaid-ish box for another 10 years :lol:

i like that box paw paw

I have the Fishpond Road Trip tying bag - it works perfectly for all situations from Montana to Great Lakes trips.

I keep extra everything in there to make it a totally self-sufficient tying arsenal. I add specific materials for each trip as needed.

Back